Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Stalling...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Stalling...

ORIGINAL: rysZ34

I might check the EGR Valve
I'm not usually right, so I want to quote this one...LOL. If your car is stalling, I would bet that your EGR valve is past the being able to clean it stage. I would bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 AM

Well to me it sounds like the problem I had. When my engine would idle for about 10 minutes, it was start to idle really rough, than get so bad, that it was fight to stay running, than finally stall out. Start it back up, and it would stall in about a minute. Wait for it to cool down(an hour or so), start it up, it would run fine. And as long as I kept driving, and kept the rpms up, it would be fine. What my problem was, was my fuel pump was starting to die, so whenever it ran with minimal fuel, the movement of liquid wasn't enough to keep it cool, where as at higher rpms the fuel moving was enough to keep it colder, and the fuel pump was fine. I didn't understand it, but its how my mechanic explained it.

So your problem could be a clogged fuel filter, dying fuel pump, dirty fuel injectors(add some lucas upper cyclinder lubricant/injector cleaner), to your next tank. Could be your egr valve as well.

Start with the cheap stuff, fuel filter, injector cleaner, and work your way up.

P.S. Incase you didn't know, you should burn off your whole tank if you use injector cleaner, just because you don't want the injector cleaner sitting in your tank. Plan a long day trip or something if you can.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Farfig

Well to me it sounds like the problem I had. When my engine would idle for about 10 minutes, it was start to idle really rough, than get so bad, that it was fight to stay running, than finally stall out. Start it back up, and it would stall in about a minute. Wait for it to cool down(an hour or so), start it up, it would run fine. And as long as I kept driving, and kept the rpms up, it would be fine. What my problem was, was my fuel pump was starting to die, so whenever it ran with minimal fuel, the movement of liquid wasn't enough to keep it cool, where as at higher rpms the fuel moving was enough to keep it colder, and the fuel pump was fine. I didn't understand it, but its how my mechanic explained it.

So your problem could be a clogged fuel filter, dying fuel pump, dirty fuel injectors(add some lucas upper cyclinder lubricant/injector cleaner), to your next tank. Could be your egr valve as well.

Start with the cheap stuff, fuel filter, injector cleaner, and work your way up.

P.S. Incase you didn't know, you should burn off your whole tank if you use injector cleaner, just because you don't want the injector cleaner sitting in your tank. Plan a long day trip or something if you can.
Thats interesting and does sound very similar,I hope it's not the fuel pump as I justgave one away the other day! ButI replaced the egr the other day and so far so good. It had been stalling before once it got hot enough that the fans would turn on, since the egr replacement it will run beyond that point and has not stalled since. I do have a new fuel filter but wasn't able to swap it out yet as the old is rusted on there pretty good, going to have to find the proper line wrench to get the job done. Also already have a bottle of lucas to add to the gas but was waiting for a road trip to pour it in. Thanks for your help, I apppreciate it.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 PM

Anytime. Thankfully its something cheaper like an egr. Not like my 600 dollar fuel pump.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:45 PM

Well just thought I'd follow up on this thread for all of those who may have the same problems with a stalling issue on their 3800 and have searched the net in hope of an answer like I have. In many threads I found no one ever posted what the final outcome was and what they determined the fix to be.

Over the last couple weeks I have replaced an egr, and an evap selenoid but the final piece to the puzzle was an intermittantly bad crank sensor that would only act up when the motor was hot and give no DTC's. It caused a stall condition at idle and while driving down the road and getting off the gas once it was at operating temp. My code reader finally gave me a green light on the emissions today too after replacing the faulty crank sensor.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:59 PM

Glad to hear RedZed. Its crazy how the computer tells us so little when there is a major problem like a stalling vehicle eh.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 PM

very good....thanks for the update!