Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Random Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Default Random Stalling

Hey, I am new to the Forum and have been having some issues with my 01 MC SS. My MC will stall at random times when I am driving and also when it is just running in park. I have check many other Forums and chat rooms trying to find out the problem. There is no fuel system clog or an electrical problem. Just when it is about to stall the Traction control shuts off and in the message center is says "Service Traction System." I scanned the PCM for coads and found many random ones. Including 300misfire ( which is when I did the plugs, coils, wires), a PCM data link failure, torque displacement failure...ect... From what I have found and checked, it seem to be either the PCM or a grounding problem. I have heard many times the the ground under the C1,C2, and C3 fuse boxes under the hood are really bad. And also the ground on the passenger side kickpanel is bad as well( which I believe is the same ground).
Has anyone else had this problem or have any other idea's? I don't mind switching the PCM, it's on my list of upgrades and performance mods! But for now I just want it to be able to run and not stall out on me at random times.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Default RE: Random Stalling

This sounds like a short in the wire harness problem that we have seen/talked about before. Check the wire loom attached to/around the alt for exposed wires...

Old 10-22-2006, 07:34 PM

Will do, thank you for the info!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:59 PM

Well the wires are ok, anyelse with idea's????

Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 PM

I am experiencing the same thing lately. It stalled on me when I pulled into my subdivision one night when I let off the gas. Next morning it stalled at a light. So I replaced the fuel filter. Ran fine the next morning on the way to work. After work when I started it, it stalled right away. Didn't even get a chance to put it in gear. Started it again and it was chugging and the service traction control system message came up. After turning it off and on, it finally started and idled fine, so I turned the traction control off and was able to drive normally to Advance Auto. I had them scan the obd and there were no faults. They said all they can scan is the emissions. I thought if any message came up that it would lock in a fault code and they would be able to see it, then tell me what part I need. Well, that wasn't the case.

I guess I'll pop the hood and check for chaffec wires as mentioned before. I've got over 102000 miles on it now, so I suppose it is time for stuff to start happening.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:31 AM

I finally figured it out. It was the Mass Air Flow sensor. It was spiking high voltage randomly. I talked with a few techs at a couple dealerships and they said that the factory sensors are not the best. I replaced it about a week ago and have had nothing but good luck, expically with the new mods...