Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 Monte Carlo stalling and lurching

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Default 2000 Monte Carlo stalling and lurching

We have a 2000 MC SS with 3.8that recently began stalling at idle and lurching intermittently. Dealer found no codes and replaced MAF sensor with no luch. Another dealre replaced IAC motor and throttle position sensor also with no luck. The car always restarts.......any idea on what else could be worng?

Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Default RE: 2000 Monte Carlo stalling and lurching

Hi `Frank,
I'm sorry to read about your problem, and that your dealer
has not been able to find the problem.
Does your 00 SS have the original Cat ?
I know they are suppose to throw a code, but it's something to
check.
Have you tried a injector cleaner ? Like SeaFoam ?
These are just a few I thought of, but I'm sure `if you are patience,
one of our expert member's will reply with their thoughts/solutions.
It's difficult to pinpoint a problem by just the written word.
If all else fails, go out to your Monte, kneel down, & pray
[:-]
I do wish you Good Luck. `Space

Old 12-11-2007, 01:21 PM

lol prayin always helps me but doesnt really help with nething car related...always helps solve the internal issues tho

Old 12-11-2007, 01:42 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: kweef

lol prayin always helps me but doesnt really help with nething car related...always helps solve the internal issues tho
[/align][align=center]Sorry `Frank, that I have interrupted your post, but[/align][align=center]I believe prayers can help with any problem a person is[/align][align=center]confronted with. You have to remember, there are a lot[/align][align=center]of car owners asking for help, especially those[/align][align=center]FORD Guys (j/k),[/align][align=center]Patience is a Virtue : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I just get tired of that Space Kid bombing[/align][align=center]me with request, and have changed my Number.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]I still listen to everyone else : )[/align][align=center]Sure can't hurt [/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 12-11-2007, 02:44 PM

yah sry Frank but welcome to MCF! hopefully sum1 with more mechanical knowledge can help ya out...we have some pretty smart ppl runnin round here

Old 12-11-2007, 04:32 PM

I would have to say the IAC, thats about the only thing that wont throw a code. Did the dealer that installed the new one clean out the seat and throttle body before they put the new one in?
Amen

Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 PM

Not sure if they cleaned seat and throttle body??? I have seen some threads with similar issues that a new crack sensor corrected.........any thoughts

Old 12-12-2007, 03:28 PM

I had something similar going on with my firebird. Ended up being a loose spark plug wire not making a good connection. It would sometimes stall and lurch while just idiling and while driving sometimes would all of a sudden not go over 30mph. Not sure if this would throw a code or not on a monte, worth checking though.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: blankenship2

Not sure if they cleaned seat and throttle body??? I have seen some threads with similar issues that a new crack sensor corrected.........any thoughts
I assume you mean crank sensor?
Maybe but [lurching] usally isnt a associated with a spark problem, stalling is and maybe the timing is being is tring to compinsate for it, But my first guess would be IAC. In most sevice manuals they tell you to replace with a KNOWN good sensor in the trouble shooting section, I don't know how to tell if a new one is a KNOWN good one but thats the best advice I can give.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:47 PM

One other thing that may or may be relevant............the day before this started there was water( from somehwere) dripping into passenger floorboard. wasn't heater core or plugged ac vent.................

Quick Reply: 2000 Monte Carlo stalling and lurching