Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Stainless Brake and Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 01:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Stainless Brake and Fuel Line

First, I am going to give a BIG shout out to Inlinetubing.com! I bought their stainless brake and fuel line kit for the 2000-2004 Monte. When I was doing the install, I found that the rear brake lines were a little lone and the fuel lines were not lining up at all. I contacted them with pics, they had me ship them my original lines and the end result in my book is as close to factory as I can ask for!!

Quick story and some before pics. I have owned my blue 2004 Monte Carlo SS since August of 2008. Car was previously one owner in Buffalo NY, driven year round and had about 52K on it when I brought it home. Since then, it has not been on a winter road ever since and just this year broke 90K miles. The underside does not look any different then the day I bought it..... But on July 3rd, one of the tiny rust spots (on the line that handles the front right caliper) rotted through (thankfully in my driveway). Rest of the brake and fuel lines were all solid, just light surface rust. I decided I did not want to ever re-visit a rust issue with these lines. I went for the pre-bent stainless lines from InlineTubing..com.
I wanted to keep the factory original nylon fuel connecting lines that go to the engine. Two ways to adapt them is to use a coupler that looks like a Sharkbite fitting (I used those on other projects, do the trick quite well). The other option, I had Inlinetubing flare the steel tubing to accept a quick connect and then I added a quick connect fitting to the old nylon lines. I will pass a BIG tip I learned, don't both with the Dorman ****** quick connect fittings. They are difficult to get on the nylon and if they are not installed just right, trouble getting a seal and risk of popping off. Instead, I went to my local NAPA and got SUR&R fittings:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SERK...pressionRank=1
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SERK...pressionRank=1
Another benefit to having the engine nylon with quick disconnects, it is easier to get the metal in place and then connect the nylon flex lines from up top. Plus they can now be serviced if needed.
Some people also know my frustration about the warning take on the loom holding the flex lines up top around the engine... If anyone wants that story, I can post it separately, but I will give a shout out to Dr. Decal for the fast help!!

Also, while I was doing this job, my caliper brake hoses were the ZZP stainless braided Goodridge hoses. Problem is, the fronts would rub the wheels when I turned and I wrapped them to prevent hose damage. I was sick of this and finally went for a better answer. I did a lot of research and comparing a couple options (I will spare that story). I ended up ordering from Summit Racing, Russell Performance lines (part number RUS-692220).
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-692220

Side note: GM has flex parts on the brake lines near the ABS pump (I assume for easy factory assembly). Inlinetubing.com offers replacement ones without that flex piece. I went that direction to avoid possible future issues. Sadly when they re-made the rear brake lines, they included the flex pieces (but they are removable if something happens and great quality). So my fronts are all solid and the rears have the ABS flex piece.

This project was almost two months and I have no idea how much time spent. It turned out great in the end. This pretty much sums up the project. Now, some before pics (and the next post will be after pics).

this is where the leak that started this mess came from! This is just outside the heat shielding on the line that handles the front right caliper.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:33 PM

10 Year Member

First, hopefully everyone who looks at the old lines goes "eh, they don't look too bad". Because, well, they weren't! I actually remove each line (except the one with the leak) as a complete line. I did not bend, cut, mangle or damage them. I did it that way to get an idea how to later get the new lines in. But turns out, I needed to send some of the lines to Inlinetubing.com, so I am EXTRA glad I did not damage them.

OK, so I wasn't going to talk about it, but I will. So I compared the stock hoses for the 00-05 Monte, the 06+ Monte/Impala (no pics, so take my word). I also found the Goodridge catalog. The yellowed hose with the tape (used to protect the line from the wheel rub) is the hose I removed (bought YEARS ago from ZZP for a 04 Monte with stock calipers). I found that Goodridge had a hose set for the 06+ Monte/Impala. So I bought that and I bought the Russell Performance hose set (knowing at least ONE set was going to be returned and I would eat some cost on that). So here is what BUGGED me. Per specs of the factory 00-05 front hoses vs the factory 06+ front hoses, the 06+ should be a bit longer..... Looking at my aftermarket performance comparisons, uhm, the 06+ Goodridge hose (in the middle) is SHORTER! FAIL!!! But the Russell 00-05 hose is factory length!!! And, here is were Goodridge failed. The metal ends are basic and "universal fit", the Russell end is like OEM (big metal square head, long enough metal tub with angle to keep the hose AWAY from the wheel). I never did a test fit of the 06+ Goodridge line on the car. I admit, looking how much more extreme the bend is, MAYBE it would work..... But I had more faith in the Russell hose. I replaced all four hoses with the Russell kit.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:45 PM

10 Year Member

OK, so I wanted to share a few random pics.
A pic of a new brake line flaring tool. I bought it onsale and I had to use it once on this project. I damaged a flare and fitting on the new lines and this tool was AWESOME! Far better than other brake flaring tools I have used. I think I got it for like $20-$30 onsale and bought it thinking "eh, looks like it might be worth while). HECK YEAH IT WAS! I highly recommend this tool. I have also see other brands of the same product. So nice and easy!
A couple showing the flare on the steel line for a quick disconnect. It's that little bump .5-1 inch down. Some quick connects use a piece that has two tabs you squeeze to release it (common of the original GM fittings and Dorman), I have seen some that require a tool that slides over the line and releases it. Or the SUR&R that I ended up using, have a colored button you push in to release.
Another pic shows the new rear brake lines with the flex pieces I mention.
Another pic showing a test with the nylon and steel using a sharkbite-style coupler. The nice thing, if you ever need to release it, push the blue ring inward and away you go.
And lastly some SUR&R fittings. These are FANTASTIC! I used little WD on the nipple to help slide it on the nylon. Use a pinch clamp to finish and lock it on.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:00 PM

10 Year Member

Here it is!! The finished product!!! Sure, I could have replaced/repaired the ONE line, but I went all out! All the stainless lines are following the factory routing as perfect as can be. They are ALL locked into the factory retaining brackets. I got rid of the crust looking bolts and changed to stainless bolts. The metal brackets used to hold some of the plastic clips and the ones used to hold the caliper hoses all got wire wheeled, POR15 and a coat of black paint. The one plastic clip as the lines come down the firewall always looks to have some level of stress on it. My dad trimmed up a piece of metal and now, a strong retaining bracket. The only issue, and it's on me and no one else... On the straight lengths of the lines underneath, there is a bit of a wave. This is because the replacement lines are bent in a U shape and you have to gently by hand bend them back to straight. I am not good enough at that bending and wish I spent a little more time with it. But, still looks great in my book!

And the retaining bracket for the lines at the bottom of the firewall and the one against the left front wheel, what a pain lol!!! I found new ways to bend my body and reach my hands around. I was considering removing the left front strut, but further inspection, it did not gain me anything.

I want to replace the red painted strap for the fuel filter (I painted that red years ago when I first replaced the filter). GM discontinued that bracket. So I may need to brake one apart and fabricate one (maybe out of stainless steel).

Old 09-10-2021, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
had to use it once on this project. I damaged a flare and fitting on the new lines and this tool was AWESOME! Far better than other brake flaring tools I have used. I think I got it for like $20-$30 onsale and bought it thinking "eh, looks like it might be worth while). HECK YEAH IT WAS! I highly recommend this tool. I have also see other brands of the same product.
I'm glad to hear that. I bought one a year or so ago as theres one more patch of brake line I want to replace to get back to 100%. rust free.

I was hoping it worked well as a normal flare tool is a bit tough to deal with under the car.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:32 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I'm glad to hear that. I bought one a year or so ago as theres one more patch of brake line I want to replace to get back to 100%. rust free.

I was hoping it worked well as a normal flare tool is a bit tough to deal with under the car.
I saw a video where someone removed the handle and used it without. So it is versatile. And I tested it with steel and stainless steel. It worked great with both. I also felt the instructions were insanely simple. Like I said, less clumsy than the other tools.