Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th gen 1998 brake and fuel line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Default 5th gen 1998 brake and fuel line replacement

I recently found out the hard way that my 1998 3.1 LS needed its brake and fuel lines replaced. I tried to stop at an intersection and the pedal went all the way to the floor. After I got it home, I took a gander at what was going on and found out all of its lines had the cancerous rust these vehicles tend to get and it had finally sprung a leak. So, I decided since a shop quoted me over $1000 to replace the system that I would just do it myself. Found a place locally that could build the lines for me and had them do it. So I removed the entire system, but since I was under the gun with this whole project I ignorantly forgot to take pictures of how everything was hooked up originally.

So, my question to all of you Monte Carlo gods that have a 5th gen Monte, does anyone have any good detailed pics of the fuel and brake system on your cars? I have both Chilton and Haynes manuals and they're pretty much worthless. I also have a factory printout from a dealer but it is pretty vague. I tried searching the forum and couldn't find anything specific to this generation. All I really need are good pics of how the rear brakes lines run and where they mount etc. But, pics of the front would be helpful too. Any help is much appreciated honestly.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by enigmatticus
I recently found out the hard way that my 1998 3.1 LS needed its brake and fuel lines replaced. I tried to stop at an intersection and the pedal went all the way to the floor. After I got it home, I took a gander at what was going on and found out all of its lines had the cancerous rust these vehicles tend to get and it had finally sprung a leak. So, I decided since a shop quoted me over $1000 to replace the system that I would just do it myself. Found a place locally that could build the lines for me and had them do it. So I removed the entire system, but since I was under the gun with this whole project I ignorantly forgot to take pictures of how everything was hooked up originally.

So, my question to all of you Monte Carlo gods that have a 5th gen Monte, does anyone have any good detailed pics of the fuel and brake system on your cars? I have both Chilton and Haynes manuals and they're pretty much worthless. I also have a factory printout from a dealer but it is pretty vague. I tried searching the forum and couldn't find anything specific to this generation. All I really need are good pics of how the rear brakes lines run and where they mount etc. But, pics of the front would be helpful too. Any help is much appreciated honestly.
I believe this will help..

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...ssembly=400998

Last edited by STUMPMI; 02-23-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:52 AM

Hey, thanks a lot STUMPMI! I actually got that same image from a dealer. The part that was really confusing to me was how the right rear brake line was routed and secured through the back axle.

Also, in the process of doing this I ruined one of the connectors on my fuel hoses back there too. Meaning it will not snap and lock on to the medium sized fuel line back there. It's not the one that connects to the fuel filter and it's not the smallest sized hose either. It's the medium sized hose. I don't know if it's a vent or a return. Do you know what hose it is and could I get away with driving it before I replace it?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM

5 Year Member

Hey, thanks a lot STUMPMI! I actually got that same image from a dealer. The part that was really confusing to me was how the right rear brake line was routed and secured through the back axle.

Also, in the process of doing this I ruined one of the connectors on my fuel hoses back there too. Meaning it will not snap and lock on to the medium sized fuel line back there. It's not the one that connects to the fuel filter and it's not the smallest sized hose either. It's the medium sized hose. I don't know if it's a vent or a return. Do you know what hose it is and could I get away with driving it before I replace it?
Without actually seeing it...
I wouldn't chance driving it.... Its more than likely a return.. (Not exactly sure) but any "Open" fuel line is not good ... I would recommend repairing/replacing the line before driving it.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:53 PM

lol, I kind of figured that.

Actually, I should've just did this earlier, but it's the hose that connects to this fuel line right here.

CZ3RIBI.png

The hose itself is fine, but the connector just won't snap and lock on to the fuel line any more. Any idea what size that is or if I can just buy a retaining ring to lock it on?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:31 PM

5 Year Member

lol, I kind of figured that.

Actually, I should've just did this earlier, but it's the hose that connects to this fuel line right here.

The hose itself is fine, but the connector just won't snap and lock on to the fuel line any more. Any idea what size that is or if I can just buy a retaining ring to lock it on?
You can actually purchase a replacement connector... I had to do it on mine.