Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): SS Stalling on startup AFTER drving (Pic)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Default SS Stalling on startup AFTER drving (Pic)

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

I've been having an ongoing problem with my Carlo for a few months now and I can't fix it because not one mechanic in the area seems to know the problem. Joke right?

Whenever I start the car cold in the morning, no issues. Starts up and runs like a champ.

Its when I drive around a while then get off to run into store or grab a bite to eat. Once I goto start the car, starts up then stalls out. If I give it a little gas before stalling sometimes it will bypass the problem and stay running. It use to start up on the 2nd try and now I'm finding it wont start for nothing unless I wait a few hours.

I've been told it was the IAC valve, So I replaced it. (Crappy Auto Zone part) so that could be 1 issue. When I replaced this sensor one of the bolts was so brittle it broke off half way inside the threading on the throttle body but I was able to secure the IAC valve with 1 bolt. I originally thought that could be the problem so I drilled out the bolt and replaced it and no go.

I've been told maybe gas pump, had the pressure checked today and everything's good as far as PSI goes.

I'm getting frustrated anyone else ran into a similar problem with their carlo? Or know of what to try next?

The only other thing I can think of is to clean out the entire throttle body or head to the dealer for an OEM IAC?

Old 11-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be the MAF sensor going bad, crank sensor, or even the ignition control module starting to fail

Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Default SS Stalling

Same here! Changed battery,starter,alternator, MAF and fuel pump! 😩 I've put so much money in fixing nothing! Please help me out if you find out! 🙏 I googled it own line and some have the same problem crazy, anyway they say Ignition switch. So I' m going to try that!

Old 11-04-2014, 05:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For anyone wanting to respond to montygrey01, please go to his thread using the link below:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ne...63/#post635862

Old 11-04-2014, 06:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

@TheFate - As nitehawkjcb said, it could be a couple of things. Here's a few questions:
- Have you had someone scan the computer for any current, past or pending codes? If so, what are the codes (these should start with P and then 4 digits)?
- What mileage is on the car?
- How long have you owned it and what maintenance has been done on it and when (date/mileage)?
- Was anything done/changed with the car around the time this issue began?

My limited experience is the MAF failures typically cause random engine stalling (but I have no doubt it could cause other issues). You can try an old trick with these cars and disconnect the MAF, go about normal driving and see if the car continues to have issues. I don't recommend continuous driving for days/weeks like this, just maybe 1-2 days (something reasonable to sample test). If the symptoms do go away, it does not 100% guarantee a MAF failure, but may help pin point the issue.

I don't know enough about Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) failures, but I wonder if that may have anything to do with it. Most people to have those fail find if they pull the vacuum line off the top of the FPR and it's wet with fuel on the inside, the FPR is failing.