Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

spark issue please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Default spark issue please help

was up everyone i have an issue... i own a 86 monte ls and i love this car to death.. i recently got her back after a 9 month stint without her but on to the issue.. i dont get any spark outta my plugs. she has a new distributor, new plugs, new wires, new starter, new alternator, new battery, new icm, new coil, everything i can think of ive done... but she still isnt getting any spark.. what is happening? any one have any ideas?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Default RE: spark issue please help

under the cap on the distribitor. there is a white (Most of the time) controll modual.
Take it out and make sure it is good you cna have it tested as a good auto parts store. If not then it is most likley the issue they will go out with no warning at all and tend to be the weak link in the earlie model H.E.I. ing. systems.

If this is not it get a meter and start checkign the wires from the that modual back to the ing. switch in the coloum

if you have power from the switch to the modual then it is modual or the coil pack.

if the coil pack gives you fire it should be a real bright blue if it is yellow the coil is weak or bad or goign bad replace it they are cheap.

i had so many controll moduals go out on me i started to keep 2 extra in teh glove box and the tools needed to replace them in the trunk.

I sold a car over this damed lil pos thing. becuse i thought it was somethign worse and knew i could not affored a whole lot at that time. this is how i learned it.

But if your not gettign spark it is that or your not getign power to it. to energixe the coil pack.

Keep us updated on this and what ya find