Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

"Over-revving Issue - please help"

Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy "Over-revving Issue - please help"

Good evening all... My Monte seems to be ill and I need some advise... I've noticed for the last little while that when I let up on the gas pedal, the engine doesn't rev down immediately, but infact stays excellerated for a few moments then revs down... Today I was on the hiway doing & holding at 60 mph @ 2000 rpm, I then took my foot off of the gas and shifted to neutral, my revs actually spiked by 400-500 rpm's before coming down to between 900-1000 rpm... I did this 12 times witht the exact same outcome... A little bit of history, 4 days ago I had the Wizaired CAI installed and about 3 months ago I had a Magnaflow Cat installed... I have been noticing this problem more so since the CAI was installed... What's wrong with my Monte?... Any help would be appreciated...... Thanks,

Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Mabye check around on the throttle body. Is it shifting ok?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Mabye check around on the throttle body. Is it shifting ok?
It shifts normally and I've noticed no drop in power...

Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Only thing I could see doing is get a tuner hooked up and see if anything is off. Mine does that a bit now, I think my front o2 sensor is bad, so yours could have burnt out with the high flow cat. It could have even got bumped a bit when you installed it.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Only thing I could see doing is get a tuner hooked up and see if anything is off. Mine does that a bit now, I think my front o2 sensor is bad, so yours could have burnt out with the high flow cat. It could have even got bumped a bit when you installed it.
Makes sense... I'll have it checked out... Thanks,

Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Just got back from the local Chev dealer and the crusty old mechanic told me that I should have kept her stock and that all those mods are causing my trouble... Since I really didn't want to deal with this idiot, I left without pulling a code (if there is one)... Could it be my O2 sensor(s)... Old crusty guy said no... I would really like to know so that I don't get taken for a ride when I take it in... Thanks,

Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

No offense, but you really haven't done anything that could risk the durability of your Monte. However, if you haven't already check all of the connections around the CAI to make sure that you didn't miss something. Go town Autozone or something and have the codes checked and see where that takes you. Keep us posted!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by zipper
No offense, but you really haven't done anything that could risk the durability of your Monte. However, if you haven't already check all of the connections around the CAI to make sure that you didn't miss something. Go town Autozone or something and have the codes checked and see where that takes you. Keep us posted!
Thanks, will do...

Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

I'd check the spring on the throttle plate as well as cleanliness of the throttle plate itself. That and the Intense PCM scares the hell out of me.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PacerSS
I'd check the spring on the throttle plate as well as cleanliness of the throttle plate itself. That and the Intense PCM scares the hell out of me.
X2

I forgot to mention that I don't trust Intence's PCM's. I had one in my Monte and it made me slower in the 1/4 by 2 tenths. Once ZZP touched it, the Monte was golden.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Over-revving Issue - please help"