Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Small Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
1 Year Member

That's what I was thinking. I had to do that on old pick up truck. Could that be the problem why its leaking is by over filling it?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
...You have to loosen the bolts on the trans pan and drain some out that way...
An inexpensive siphon pump inserted through the filler tube is a much easier and cleaner way to remove excess fluid from the transmission.

Originally Posted by killerBee
That's what I was thinking. I had to do that on old pick up truck. Could that be the problem why its leaking is by over filling it?
Yes, overfilling can cause leakage. It can also lead to transmission damage because the fluid may aerate. If that happens it cannot provide optimal friction protection between moving parts or proper fluid pressure. Remove any excessive fluid asap.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
An inexpensive siphon pump inserted through the filler tube is a much easier and cleaner way to remove excess fluid from the transmission.

Yes, overfilling can cause leakage. It can also lead to transmission damage because the fluid may aerate. If that happens it cannot provide optimal friction protection between moving parts or proper fluid pressure. Remove any excessive fluid asap.
Thanks. I went and picked up one of thoses pumps from homedepot and worked great.A lot easy than going under the car and unbolted pan

Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
My HD axle shaft was actually a touch to long for some unknown reason, thus preventing the C-clip from seating. We had to remove about 1/8" from the shaft's splined end, and then it was able to be fully inserted and the C-clip seated when knocked into place. Don't know if this happens to often or not. I drove all the way to Calif. like that and ended up having to have a shop from the Fontana Speedway out there diagnois and fix the problem.

I got some time to take the Monte apart yesterday.I installed a new axle seal and the other one i installed a few months back didn't look damaged,looked fine. Got the car back together,drove it, parked it over night and is still leaking out seal.Its gotta have something to do with that new axle i installed few months back. Maybe its to touch to long preventing the C-clip from seating?

ZIPPY02 How did u take that 1/8" from the shaft's splined end?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

what did you do to solve this issue? turbo monte is leaking in the same place, i havnt torn apart to see if the seal is bad or what the issue is but i am curious as to what your issue was...

Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
what did you do to solve this issue? turbo monte is leaking in the same place, i havnt torn apart to see if the seal is bad or what the issue is but i am curious as to what your issue was...
Well when i had replaced my CV axle i had gotten a bad one. It was a little bit to long so it wasn't correctly sealing in the transmission all he way.Took it out and went and got a different one.Life time warranty . But that was my problem with mine leaking. Doesn't leak any more.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

ok thanks man, I had this axle in it before and it wasn't leaking and then when I rebuilt the trans and installed the same axle it was leak free for about 2,000 miles and now is leaking pretty bad.... im leaning toward its the seal.... I hope lol