Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

I have a small leak

Old 05-25-2008, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default I have a small leak

I have a small leak in my right rear tire. My car has the tire pressure monitoring system and if it wasnt for that, I would not have known until it was too late. My question is, would putting Fix-A-Flat in the tire cause any problems with the TPMS? Like I said, it is a small, slow leak and Im not really ready to buy tires right now. Thanks for any info!!!

Mike

Old 05-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Default RE: I have a small leak

well i had a nice write up for ya but then the site glitched again so here ya go in a nut shell

If it is a internal system it can ruin it.
you need to know if this is the case or not. Also the fix a tire in a can method is not recomended for anythign othrer then a emergency type sistuation.
Take some dish soap and put it in a bottel and add some water to it and find the leak on the tire and have it patched right.
fix a flat used to be flamibel i have seen it cause fires in teh tires and blow them off a wheel or even hurt techs trying to take the tires off. when they tools they used make a spark etc.... even if it is on the machine not just inside of the tire.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:23 PM

I would avoid using fix a flat unless you were stuck on the side of the road and really needed it. It makes a mess inside the tire and rim. If the leak is on the tread part and not to serious it should be fixable. But if the leak is on the sidewall the fix a flat wouldnt do any good. Take it down to a tire shop and see what they say, around here to fix a tire its usually under $20.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:00 AM

if it can be fixed... get them to patch it instead of plugging it.. plugs can pop out especially on a drive tire on a front wheel drive upon the forces of acceleration and turning.. it could also be the oring that is on the tpms valve as well...