Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Signal light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Signal light issue

Hello all:

I have an '06 MC with 3.5 flex. Recently, I have been experiencing turn signal light issues. When I go to hit the left turn signal the light and clicks (from the dash) will occur let's say once per second (or whatever the normal speed is) and then increase rapidly to twice per second. Also, I noticed that the constant day lights will illuminate on that side but the brake light and blinker will not. If I remember correctly, the top bulb is for the blinker which does not work at all. The bottom bulb has two filaments; one for constant lights and the other for brakes. However, only the brake portion does not work. Does any know what causes this problem?

I have read other threads about the turn signal switch but my lights and clicks are fine (from the dash). Unless, that is a sign that it's going bad. I just do not understand why it stops only the left brake light and both front and rear driver side turn signals. Also, I'd like to add that I have replaced all the bulbs. Lastly, when this issue occurs the opposite reverse light goes out. Weird...I know.

Any ideas, insight, and tips are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by MRagland828; 09-09-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MRagland828
Hello all:

I have an '06 MC with 3.5 flex. Recently, I have been experiencing turn signal light issues. When I go to hit the left turn signal the light and clicks (from the dash) will occur let's say once per second (or whatever the normal speed is) and then increase rapidly to twice per second. Also, I noticed that the constant day lights will illuminate on that side but the brake light and blinker will not. If I remember correctly, the top bulb is for the blinker which does not work at all. The bottom bulb has two filaments; one for constant lights and the other for brakes. However, only the brake portion does not work. Does any know what causes this problem?

I have read other threads about the turn signal switch but my lights and clicks are fine (from the dash). Unless, that is a sign that it's going bad. I just do not understand why it stops only the left brake light and both front and rear driver side turn signals. Also, I'd like to add that I have replaced all the bulbs. Lastly, when this issue occurs the opposite reverse light goes out. Weird...I know.

Any ideas, insight, and tips are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I vote for a new flasher relay.../..possible ground issue....
Have the wireing for the lights and flasher for continuity...resistance voltage etc...
That should tell you what the "real" problem is...

also the 2 element bulb is for turn signal, running and brake light...

Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Even though you replaced the bulbs I would double check them. When a bulb stops working it changes the resistance in the circuit. This change in resistance is what causes the indicator to flash at a faster pace. The front bulb is a 4157NA and the rear is a 3057. While you are checking the bulbs have a look at the sockets to insure there is no build up of dirt/oxidation on the contacts.