Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Shifter issues on 2006 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Shifter issues on 2006 Monte Carlo

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo with 180,000 miles. I don’t know exactly how to describe what happened, but will try. I have had issues with the shifter before, one time it got stuck and I could barely shift it. I sprayed something to clean it and it worked decently. Well today, I was pulling into a parking spot and heard a pop, then I couldn’t shift into park. It’s like something broke, I could go through the gears, but it’s not locking or something. I had to basically turn the car off in I think neutral. I got it towed and unplugged the battery. The transmission has been shifting fine, no hesitation, stalling, slipping or anything. I can’t start the car though because something is broken or something. The lever has been loose on the shifter too if that makes sense. I don’t know what is going on, never dealt with this before and I have had 4 Monte Carlo’s. Any suggestions?

Old 02-02-2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ThomasB81677
I have a 2006 Monte Carlo with 180,000 miles. I don’t know exactly how to describe what happened, but will try. I have had issues with the shifter before, one time it got stuck and I could barely shift it. I sprayed something to clean it and it worked decently. Well today, I was pulling into a parking spot and heard a pop, then I couldn’t shift into park. It’s like something broke, I could go through the gears, but it’s not locking or something. I had to basically turn the car off in I think neutral. I got it towed and unplugged the battery. The transmission has been shifting fine, no hesitation, stalling, slipping or anything. I can’t start the car though because something is broken or something. The lever has been loose on the shifter too if that makes sense. I don’t know what is going on, never dealt with this before and I have had 4 Monte Carlo’s. Any suggestions?
I have an 05 w/ 222k. The same thing has happened to me. The button isn't working properly. Ebay sells the shift handle for about 20 bucks and the "shift assy" is about 75$. If you can get it in "neutral", set the parking brake. It will start in neutral.