Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Shift Interlock Solenoid?

Old 07-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Default Shift Interlock Solenoid?

Problem: One day I put my car into park, and the key wouldn't come out. The doors unlocked and everything, just the key wouldn't come out. After a bit of research and messing with my shifter in my center console, I found that if I lift a metal piece up with a screw driver, that it would allow me to take my key out ( I wish I knew the name of the metal piece, couldn't find a diagram. See attached image) I initially thought my shift cable needed adjusted, that didn't help. I'm thinking it's the shift interlock solenoid now but not totally sure. Curious if anyone has encountered this issue? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-30-2018, 01:41 PM

Do you think you could post other photos from all angles? I too am having a hard time finding a diagram with and real detail about this. More info could allow others to also chime in.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:00 PM

Bulletin No.: 06-02-35-005

Date: February 28, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Key Stuck in Ignition, Key Will Not Return to Off Position, Shifter Button Won't Release in Park Position (Adjust Shifter Detent Finger)

Models:
2002-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Condition

Customers may comment on any of the following conditions:-The key is stuck in the ignition cylinder.
-They cannot return the key to the off position to remove the key.
-The shifter button won't release in the park position.
Cause

This condition may be caused by the detent finger shifting over time. This may result in mis-alignment and binding of the shift rod on the shift position guide.

Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE SHIFTER ASSEMBLY. Use the following procedure to adjust the shifter detent finger.1.Apply the parking brake.
2.Shift the transaxle shift lever from Park to 2.
3.Remove the front floor console trim plate screw located between I/P and shift lever
4.Open the storage compartment door.
5.Lift the trim plate up and slightly rearward.
6.Remove the wiring harness from the retainers.
7.Disconnect the traction control switch electrical connector and disconnect the heated seats (if equipped).
8.Loosen the shifter boot retainer and rotate out of the way in order to gain access to the shifter detent finger.

Important: Refer to diagram - # XXXXX shows how the detent will look after it is properly adjusted; # XXXXX shows a mis-adjusted detent finger.

9.Loosen the fastener to allow the detent finger to adjust.
10.After the detent finger is adjusted, tighten the fastener.
11.Connect the traction control switch electrical connector and connect the heated seats (if equipped).
12.Install the wiring harness to the retainers.
13.Reinstall the shifter boot retainer.
14.Reinstall the console trim plate and screw.

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.