Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Key will not turn (Shifter is locked)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Default Key will not turn (Shifter is locked)

Hi I have a 2005 Monte Carlo SS and for some reason I cannot get the key to turn in the ignition I noticed the power steering is not engaged on the steering wheel meaning I can turn the wheel right and left freely while the car is in park I don't no if there is a way to release the shifter or get it to unlock without turning the key as I have heard in other cars there is a failsafe button to get the car to go into neutral in case it needs to be moved this is the first time I've ever came across this problem and I was wondering if anybody could give me some helpful info I would really appreciate it thank you one more thing I didn't mention is that I have tried jerking and turning the wheel with the key in the ignition to try and make the key turn now as I said key will not turn no matter what I do I've also tried rocking the car back and forth and that seems not to work I have tried everything possible that I could think of thank you

Last edited by Whalen05SS; 02-24-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Adding some more info
Old 02-24-2017, 05:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rocking the wheel is normal. Unlike some other cars (including older Chevys), the wheels on the modern Monte does not have a locking point.

I am thinking you might have an issue with the lock cylinder or your key has worn a bit much to engage the tumbler. Normally the problem is that you cannot move the shifter. You may want to try a spare key if you have one and a small shot of a spray lube (something as simple as WD-40).

I know there is a cable linkage between the shifter and the ignition switch, typically that is to unlock the shifter after the key is turned. Just for the sake of trying, you can try seeing if you can wiggle the shift forward/backward while turning the key, or push the shifter as far forward and turn the key.

I recall some type of fail safe for these cars to move the shifter, but I don't recall what it is. I know if you pull the center console apart, you could manually disconnect that linkage cable and that should let you move the shifter.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:37 PM

Just another reason I miss my Grand Prix. There was a little plastic plug right next to the shifter. You pulled that out and inserted a screwdriver, and voila.

Stands to reason, though, since it's still a W-body with a T-465E, that that interlock release is still somewhere in the console....

Old 03-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Default Fix

There is an override button under cup holder to the right of the shifter tucked down near the bracket holding the center console. If you have large hands it may be difficult to reach. The harness that feeds the gear shift (react's to brake switch to allow shifting out of park, also allows key to turn) was poorly placed on this chassy. It's likely one or more wire has worn or rubbed. I'll edit post with an ac delco part number for you shortly. The fix is to reroute and splice in a new harnes. Or just pull the cupholder each time...

ACDelco - Connector

Line: DEL Part # PT3923
Here's a tutorial : https://youtu.be/0LDkoecODII

Last edited by Brian Brabham; 03-25-2017 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 03-26-2017, 07:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Brian Brabham
There is an override button under cup holder to the right of the shifter tucked down near the bracket holding the center console. If you have large hands it may be difficult to reach. The harness that feeds the gear shift (react's to brake switch to allow shifting out of park, also allows key to turn) was poorly placed on this chassy. It's likely one or more wire has worn or rubbed. I'll edit post with an ac delco part number for you shortly. The fix is to reroute and splice in a new harnes. Or just pull the cupholder each time...

ACDelco - Connector

Good Info Brian.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Brabham
ACDelco - Connector

I was right! I was right!

Seriously, great info.