Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

service traction control? help anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:20 PM

I had that issue also turned out the wheel bearings were just fine it was the right front wire harness i would check the harness first before shelling out money for hubs

Old 09-07-2016, 11:13 AM

I was having traction control/abs service light coming on frequently and would reset after restarting, then start over again. I have an 2002 Monte SS, it has 100,000 and I just bought it. I did not know if the transmission was ever serviced, so, I had it serviced with new filter and Dexron VI;NOT FLUSHED, I heard in this Forum not to flush. I had the Transmission Service yesterday and not once did the Service Traction/ABS DIC warning come on. I was looking at the Master Cylinder reservoir and the brake fluid is pitch black and feels gritty, I am currently empting a few times a week and replacing with new brake fluid but think a brake system bleeding maybe needed at 100,000/miles. The ABS activates on the slightest downhill braking but does not lockup, more than normal. I hope this helps those who have the Traction/ABS issue, mine coded original to replace the drivers rear hub but it was unplugged and now works fine. So, check, clean, dielectric lube the ABS sensor plugs and wiring connections before paying $400 for a new hub. Good luck Monte Owners and Mechanics.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:03 PM

I just replaced both front hubs this past weekend. All of a sudden today, the traction service light came on for a second leaving work, and once more down the road. I went and got gas, after about a 25 minute ride with no light coming on. Fueled up, upon leaving the station, service traction control light came on, ABS light, and trac control something far left also, till I got home, the service light was off, but other two on. When I started the car up later, they didn't come on, any ideas? The new hubs were OEM AC Delco, not Chinese or Korean knock-offs. The ABS leads clicked together fine, and appear to still be connected.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The rears also have the sensors, if you get a steady ABS light, get it read and see if it's hitting you on one of the rear hubs.

I would also check the ground that they lead to. Could just be dirty.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:05 PM

A follow up to this, turns out a hard right turn sets it off every time, will put it up on jackstands this weekend and check the leads, wondering if there is a tension problem, can turn all day left turns, first right, bam!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:05 AM

I had the same issue warhorse, after replacing a hub. Turns out it was the wire harness, I bought a new one for about $35 and spliced out about 2', though the last 6" probably would have been much easier to do. Fixed the issue and haven't had ABS light pop up since.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by xpage
I had the same issue warhorse, after replacing a hub. Turns out it was the wire harness, I bought a new one for about $35 and spliced out about 2', though the last 6" probably would have been much easier to do. Fixed the issue and haven't had ABS light pop up since.
Thanks for that, am leaning towards that as being the culprit, since it is only and always a hard right turn to set it off. Was going to check them last weekend, but the missus put me to work outside, the nerve!

I'll probably do the same thing, just buy a harness and splice, not much play in the sensor wires, for sure.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:41 PM
Default traction control

replaced both front bearings, chervolet dealer said it was wiring harness so i had that replaced. still have traction control light but no abs warning, any thing else i can check before taking it back to dealer, they charge to hook it up to read codes