Security Issue, go to the dealer? - Page 2 - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Old 08-23-2008, 07:28 PM

Default RE: Security Issue, go to the dealer?

Yeah I agree...both systems are good though....Except when you have to replace one of them. LOL. I have an '05 Malibu Classic and I had to replace the passlock sensor....$110 my cost...thankfully.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:55 AM

Well I finally got my MC back from the shop. (Short version) Turned out to be the Passkey components in the cylinder. What a poorly designed component, wires getting frayed and all. I didn't really need that $$$ I suppose...

I've pretty much decided though that my next car isn't going to be a low milleage late model MC, I'd going to find a +/- 1985 model, go over her with a fine tooth comb for the body, suspension, etc., and drop a new pristineengine in her, like having a brand new car without all thiscomputerized nonsense.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM

I don't have the breakdown right in front of me at the moment, tax and towing included it came to a bit under $650. About half of that was spent on diagnostics though.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Ouch! Thanks (I think)
Old 08-28-2008, 12:28 PM

And the moral of the story, boys and girls, is to always be nice to your Monte Carlo and never let her think you are thinking about other cars, or she will turn on you and pretend you are a stranger trying to steal her, and as such end up spending lots of money to make things right.

...and people wonder why I don't want to get married.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Default Lost Keys, had key made, Car security light flash

Hi , I need some help.
I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS

I lost my keys and had a locksmith make a new one. The car has been OK, sometimes waiting 10 minutes it will start. It is a plain key with no chip. Last night I went grocery shopping. It would not turn over. I had to disconnect the battery then lock and open the door to get the key to work.

Can I replace this with a Dorman - OE Solutions Ignition Lock Cylinder with Passlock Sensor?
Do I need the passcode sensor or can I just use a Dorman - OE Solutions Ignition Lock Cylinder?

Or, is the best option to go to the dealer? ($$$$$$$ YUCK)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate advice!

Last edited by phondo2; 02-10-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: forgot to put car model in.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey all, my husband bought an Ignition Lock Cylinder & Starter Switch Housing Combo Kit
on Amazon. This should fix the problem!

Amazon Amazon

He is my mechanic and has my 01 Monte SS purring like new!