Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): SDM replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Default SDM replacement question

The 2002 3.4L had an airbag light. I read the DTC and also had a dealer read the codes and it came back to a faulty SDM. I replaced the SDM with one with the same part number on the top from a local junkyard where the car did not have airbag deployment. The airbag light remained on so I checked power ground at the wiring harness for the SDM (with the SDM disconnected) and all was ok there. I read the DTCs again and it seems to point to that the SDM/BCM combo needs to be programmed to the vehicle.

Is that accurate that the SDMs need to be programmed to the specific vehicle and is a dealer able to reprogram a used module or does it need to basically be a module that's blank or never programmed to a vehicle?

Old 02-02-2021, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron0313
The 2002 3.4L had an airbag light. I read the DTC and also had a dealer read the codes and it came back to a faulty SDM. I replaced the SDM with one with the same part number on the top from a local junkyard where the car did not have airbag deployment. The airbag light remained on so I checked power ground at the wiring harness for the SDM (with the SDM disconnected) and all was ok there. I read the DTCs again and it seems to point to that the SDM/BCM combo needs to be programmed to the vehicle.

Is that accurate that the SDMs need to be programmed to the specific vehicle and is a dealer able to reprogram a used module or does it need to basically be a module that's blank or never programmed to a vehicle?
Did you ever get it fixed? I have the same problem.