Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

running a little hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default running a little hot

what is the normal temp on a 3800 run? the temp gauge is a little past 1/4 when im on the highway pretty normal right?but when I stop at a traffic light or when the car in not moving the gauge goes up past half and sometimes a little more. the coolant level is good and both fans are on .any thoughts? Btw I run green coolant.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dave countie jr
what is the normal temp on a 3800 run? the temp gauge is a little past 1/4 when im on the highway pretty normal right?but when I stop at a traffic light or when the car in not moving the gauge goes up past half and sometimes a little more. the coolant level is good and both fans are on .any thoughts? Btw I run green coolant.
Maybe...
Theres air in the system. Would be my first guess.
Have you had any leaks in the past or currently?

I would try bleeding the system to be sure there isn't any air in the system..

When you changed the antifreeze... Did you flush the system completely?
It may mean the thermostat isn't closing.. maybe you need a new T stat?

Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 AM

yes it flushed. how do you bleed air out? is there a you tube on this? how hard is it to change a stat? i got to get this resolved before this snowstorm hits St Louis.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

yes it flushed. how do you bleed air out? is there a you tube on this? how hard is it to change a stat? i got to get this resolved before this snowstorm hits St Louis.
Run the car until its at operating temp.
Turn it off... on the gooseneck (T stat housing) theres a bolt/nut... turn it counter clock wise slowly and let the air seep out.. when you get fluid coming out. close the nut/bolt... restart the car (To rebuild pressure) for a cpl minutes.. Then re peat the process.. It may only take 2 or 3 times to get all the air out. and or possibly up to 10 times.

Me personally..
I Would start with a minimum of 3 times doing this process.
Then drive it like you would normally and see if theres an improvement...

Does your vehicle have good heat now? or does it come and go?

(DO NOT DO IT WITH THE MOTOR RUNNING)

Old 02-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds pretty normal. Do you have a 180* thermo in? Because that's about 1/4 on the gauge. Then the stock tune has the fans come on at 212, which would be a little past halfway.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:26 AM

the heat is HOT and does not fluctuate. I don't know what temp stat I have I think it a 190?? IDK.yes chibi the fans do come on so does that mean it is to the boiling point? I took the cap off and noticed air bubbles working their way out. so I put a little more antifreeze in and let it run for 10 min or so.put cap back on and let cool for awhile. getting ready to go run it down I55 here and ill let u know how he does. BTW how do turn on the emojis?