Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): running hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Default running hot

Alright so the monte is running rather warm, we replaced the t-stat and the temp sensor already... A/C kicks a fan on but i'm not sure they are actually coming on at the programmed temps otherwise. when you just sitting the temp will creep up and go into the red if you let it ( I haven't let it get that far). I think my girls brother replaced the relays for the fans but I'm not 100%, is there a way to check them? Also beyond that is there any tell tail ways to see if the water pump needs replaced?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by englundjd
Alright so the monte is running rather warm, we replaced the t-stat and the temp sensor already... A/C kicks a fan on but i'm not sure they are actually coming on at the programmed temps otherwise. when you just sitting the temp will creep up and go into the red if you let it ( I haven't let it get that far). I think my girls brother replaced the relays for the fans but I'm not 100%, is there a way to check them? Also beyond that is there any tell tail ways to see if the water pump needs replaced?
Did you do a flush when you did the T-Stat?

You can turn on the AC ... and the fans should be running...

My guess is...
Theres still air in the system... You will have to bleed the air out anywhere from 2 or 3 times to possibly as many as 10 times...

Also,
Be sure it is up to running temperature(each time).. and be sure the motor is shut off when you crack open the bleeder.. (be very careful and open it slowly to not burn yourself)

By the way..
I use to have a Cavalier Z-24 lol

Old 08-03-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Did you do a flush when you did the T-Stat?

You can turn on the AC ... and the fans should be running...

My guess is...
Theres still air in the system... You will have to bleed the air out anywhere from 2 or 3 times to possibly as many as 10 times...

Also,
Be sure it is up to running temperature(each time).. and be sure the motor is shut off when you crack open the bleeder.. (be very careful and open it slowly to not burn yourself)

By the way..
I use to have a Cavalier Z-24 lol
we bled the system multiple times after doing the t-stat. A/C does bring the fans on but it still gets pretty hot even with the a/c and fans commanded on. The fans are not coming on when the a/c isn't commanded on, I just confirmed that.

do the fans have a low and high side or is it just all or nothing? It didn't seem like they were really moving all that fast when the a/c was engaged

i like my cavalier but it needs so much work to be a good car lol... then again at this rate the monte hasn't done so hot either... lol

Last edited by englundjd; 08-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:25 PM

5 Year Member

we bled the system multiple times after doing the t-stat. A/C does bring the fans on but it still gets pretty hot even with the a/c and fans commanded on. The fans are not coming on when the a/c isn't commanded on, I just confirmed that.

i like my cavalier but it needs so much work to be a good car lol
By Multiple times..do you mean 2 or 3 times?
Now that you have driven it for a while... I would try rebleeding the system again..

Unless you know some one with a scan tool that can access that area of the program for the fan controls.. To be able to turn them on at a lesser Temp than stock.... I would recommend getting new fans...

I have 169,000 on mine and if it wasn't for Jason (Maniac) He reset mine to come on at a cooler temp and set them to run for 2 minutes after shutoff. (Which is what it use to do when it was new...
But somehow that area of the program got wiped ..So it no longer did have the fans run after shutoff.. I actually..Dont know when they quit running after shut off.
Mine would probably be doing the same thing...If it wasn't for Jason..

He does have a service to reprogram your computer.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...ht=programming <---Click here
Might be something to consider.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 08-03-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:38 PM

i would rather just fix the car then do a bunch of upgrades and my girlfriend doesn't have much money to spend on it.

Is there a way to test the fan relays or do I just need to go get new ones to see if the old ones were bad?

Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 PM

5 Year Member

i would rather just fix the car then do a bunch of upgrades and my girlfriend doesn't have much money to spend on it.

Is there a way to test the fan relays or do I just need to go get new ones to see if the old ones were bad?
Re adjusting the fans is more or less just a reset..not necessarily an "Upgrade". But that's what Jason had done for me..

I would try having the fans and relays tested...
Since you haven't mentioned how many miles is on it... I'm guess near if not over 100k...

I do know.. eventually I will have to replace my fans... They don't have "Brushless motors" So I would say that the age of them has a lot to do with it.

I'm not a huge "electrical" guy....
I generally have my neighbor do my testing for electrical (Hes state certified) But I'm sure someone else whos a bit more knowledgeable than me on "electrical" testing will chime in with a how to.. to test yours.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:24 PM

the car has 167k iirc so its getting up there lol.. I know how to readjust the fans if need be lol. I did a fair amount of tuning on my camaro although its obd1 not obd2 like the monte.

Do these fans have two speeds or is it just one speed?

If anyone knows a way to check the fans and relays please inform me