Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Replacing door trim window seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 05:51 PM

I understand what everyone is saying, however if Chevrolet doesn’t want to make the part any longer the part should not still be considered a dealer part. You would be surprised, I guess at how many of these Monte’s are on the road around here.

The after market companies can’t even consider making a replacement for the part if the part is still considered a dealer part.

I’m 6’1” and I don’t fit into many of the smaller cars that get good gas mileage and my Monte gets 29 for an average of half city and half highway. My trip is 100 miles round trip.

Last edited by Mike Palatka; 11-13-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am not sure that is how it works. Usually a part is considered a dealer part because no aftermarket company has chosen to re-produce it. Hence your only source for the part is in fact the dealer.

That aftermarket vendor may have to do some R&D to re-create/reverse engineer the part and possibly GM licensing (depending on the part). If so, question from a business point of view is "will this be worth it".

I dealt with brake and fuel lines on one of my Montes this year. I wanted OEM fit and finish, I tried to get the Genuine GM replacement lines. Almost all were discontinued. It is technically a dealer only part. I found a vendor that offered them in full stainless steel. Spare a long story, what they sent did not work right. I re-sent them my old lines (they were still good enough for templates) and they made amazing stainless replacements that fit as good as factory original. Technically, the factory pre-bent lines are OEM, but there are some small tubing companies willing to help (as that is their business). But for a big company like Dorman to cater to it, it has to be a vehicle popular enough for them to vest the time (such as Dorman sells prebent stainless lines for the Silverado, but not the Monte).

If you think this is bad, years ago I helped a friend with a Kia Rondo. It had a cracked coil spring. At the time:
- No after market quick struts (strut premounted with bearings and coil).
- No after market coil
- No after market strut

I was blown away!!! That car had 90k miles, it had been on the road for years. All that stuff was DEALER ONLY (and the coil was $145, I could buy an entire quick strut for my monte for that). He bought a salvage strut with coil off eBay for $90. And in a couple months, traded the car in.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:02 AM

I actually could use the same part for my driver side as it's cracking and you can see bare starting to rust metal. I see it was superseded by gm 10308748 but I see none in stock anywhere

Old 11-25-2021, 08:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xpage
I actually could use the same part for my driver side as it's cracking and you can see bare starting to rust metal. I see it was superseded by gm 10308748 but I see none in stock anywhere

Try this website. Apparently a person was able to but one as he left a Nov. 21 review about the part number you listed. Is it the correct part I dont know, as reviewer user name implies he is an Impala owner. You can inquire with the company. I was able to add one to a cart and it let me go to paying for item, but that is as far as I went. Could be worth a email or phone call. Should this not work out I have extras I would sell. Good luck, let us know what you do find out about the availability.

https://www.gmpartsprime.com/online/...D%26filter%3D()

Old 11-27-2021, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Try this website. Apparently a person was able to but one as he left a Nov. 21 review about the part number you listed. Is it the correct part I dont know, as reviewer user name implies he is an Impala owner. You can inquire with the company. I was able to add one to a cart and it let me go to paying for item, but that is as far as I went. Could be worth a email or phone call. Should this not work out I have extras I would sell. Good luck, let us know what you do find out about the availability.

https://www.gmpartsprime.com/online/...D%26filter%3D()
Thanks. I found another place which I wrote and email to, waiting to hear back after thanksgiving. I'll try this place if i don't hear anything back. Worse case I have liquid rubber i can add though long term it isn't a great solution. Option B is junkyard but again this piece will be old too