Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Random starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Default Random starting issue

I experienced the ignition lock malfunction about 2yrs ago and replaced the ignition lock cylinder.....recently I've been having a random starting issue where sometimes the car will start, other times, not so much.

So I go out this morning to start it after it sitting all night and it won't do anything, when I turn the key to the on position all my lights that are supposed to come on light up but as soon as I turn the key to start it they all go out and then come back on a second or so later. Usually I can try to start it a few times and it'll start up but this time it wouldn't so I decided to try to start it in neutral just for the hell of it and it fired right up.

So I go drop my son off and basketball practice and come home and when I pull into the garage I park it, turn it off, then try to start it up again (usually it'll fire right up) but again, nothing. I put it in neutral and it fired right up.

Anybody know what the problem could be?

Old 11-14-2009, 12:21 PM

one or two things nutral safty switch going bad or the starter. but i will go for the safty switch first because if you replace the starter and it did the same thing youll be in the same perdicoment. also the starter silinoid could be going bad but it would do the same thing in nutral. also check the terminals to the battery they could be coroded.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by monte07
one or two things nutral safty switch going bad or the starter. but i will go for the safty switch first because if you replace the starter and it did the same thing youll be in the same perdicoment. also the starter silinoid could be going bad but it would do the same thing in nutral. also check the terminals to the battery they could be coroded.
Battery is brand new, terminals are clean as a whistle. I replaced the battery about 3 months ago when I installed my system. Any idea how much that neutral safety switch is? And if it's something that can be done at home or does it need to go into the shop?

Old 11-14-2009, 01:01 PM

im not sure where it is not sure what gen you have what i mean the year and type of year. do you have a manuel for it it should tell you where it is. i had the same problem with mide it should be on the transmission but not sure.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:50 PM

I just spoke to the dealer and they said my car doesn't have a neutral safety switch

Old 11-14-2009, 03:00 PM

thats kind of impossible unless you have a manuel a nutrel safty switch is what a auto matic. has to help prevent transmission damage some dealers dont like there custimers to know more than them. it kind of sounds like you were talking to a person that sems that he did not know what he was talking about. a nutral safty switch deals with start up in park also allows a person to start it in nutral as well hense the name nutral safty switch be carefull. some dealers will prograstinate on fixing problems the chevy dealers around me are netorius about that thell say the same thing all cars dont have that and why are the cars equiped with them when there automatic and also newer mauell transmissions as well to help prevent damage to the transmission ang engin. be carefull like i said the dealer probably didnt like it when you new a little more than them about your car.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by monte07
thats kind of impossible unless you have a manuel a nutrel safty switch is what a auto matic. has to help prevent transmission damage some dealers dont like there custimers to know more than them. it kind of sounds like you were talking to a person that sems that he did not know what he was talking about. a nutral safty switch deals with start up in park also allows a person to start it in nutral as well hense the name nutral safty switch be carefull. some dealers will prograstinate on fixing problems the chevy dealers around me are netorius about that thell say the same thing all cars dont have that and why are the cars equiped with them when there automatic and also newer mauell transmissions as well to help prevent damage to the transmission ang engin. be carefull like i said the dealer probably didnt like it when you new a little more than them about your car.
Sounds logical.........when I asked him how much the switch was he said "I don't think you have one on that car, they're normally on manual tranny cars." The other thing that worries me is that I wasn't able to find a neutral safety switch for my gen car online either....i'm stressing myself out over this.