Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 SS Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2001 SS Starting Issue

Greetings,

I have read many many posts on this issue and there seems to be a specific issue resulting in a specific solution. I hope someone here can help. I will describe exactly what has been happening with my MC.

Like it says in the subject, I have a 2001 SS.

SOMETIMES and hardly ever, when I turn the key to the on position, everything is 100% normal. I turn the key to START and everything on the dash turns off (as normal) and this is where the car usually starts.

Lately, I will turn the key to START and the starter does not engage. Everything appears to be normal except no cranking engine. No clicking or relays, just nothing. If I turn the key to off and back to ON, I can hear the fuel pump putting in that first bit of fuel.

There are NO warning messages on the radio and no engine lights that come on. I just sit there and keep trying. Eventually it will start.

The odd time, I will turn the key to START and nothing will happen but I just hold it there steady for a second or 2 and then the car will start.

As intermittent as this problem is, it has become more and more recent.

Way back, when it was hot out and my windows were closed, It would experience one time where it wouldn't start but the second time it for sure would.

Please help. I need this car for work and I need my job. I do not have spare time to sit and wait 10 min every time it wont start. A solution is necessary.

Much thanks in advance!