Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Pulling timing :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good thanks

Old 05-28-2010, 06:38 PM

Okay, just got back from a ride with a friend. Consistant Consistant Consistant Consistant Consistant EVERYTIME he ran it through a gear. WTF!!!!!!
Consistently good or bad?

I have been looking into the whole KR and I just cant, for the life of me, completely understand it>> I mean, this is driving me crazy
What don't you understand about KR? If the pcm hears knock, it pulls timing to keep the engine from continuing to knock (which would destroy the engine if it were bad enough, and lasted long enough).

Most cars have some KR from the factory- and as they age, it goes up (due to carbon buildup, internal fluid leakage, etc). Higher octane gas cures this.

However, you can't "feel" the pcm pulling timing via KR (ok, well maybe you could if you drove it on 93, then switched immediately to 87 and had tons of it)- and assuming everything is working correctly- it should have the same amount of KR every time. So if you had a bunch of KR- and the car only ran a 16.5 in the 1/4- every run should also be 16.5 in the 1/4 (just throwing a number out there)- its not going to run a 15.9 one time and a 17.9 the next because it magically has more KR one time.

First off, since the day I got my car it has had a starting issuse, when I go to start it(most of teh time) it will turn over for about 3sec before it starts all teh way. I was told this was normal< maybe not huh?
Who told you it was normal for any car to turn over for 3 seconds before it fires? That's extremely long for any modern car. Heck, look at the crank intervals in remote starts- they're usually like 1/3 second, 1/2 second, 3/4 second, 1 second, 1 1/4 second, etc.

This whole deal is getting me irritated and rather annoyed, not to mention Im completely left in the dark with what is happening to my poor car.
Why don't you take your car to a reputable mechanic to have them look at it? Easiest way to tell what is going on is to drive it while scanning the pcm's various sensors- and an experienced mechanic will be able to read that and tell what the problem is quickly.