Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Passenger power window

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Default Passenger power window

Hey everyone, I searched through the forum but didn't find any problems exactly like I'm having right now.

Went outside a little while ago and noticed the passenger window was about half down. Thinking my daughter had left it down, I just turned the key on and hit the switch. What I heard was a *snap* or a *pop* from the passenger door and the window started slowly sliding downward. I opened the passenger door and hit that switch, nothing. I pressed down, and heard the motor whine, then up again and heard the motor whine once more. The window kept sliding slowly down though. So now I've got it taped up and am wondering what happened?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Soundz like you popped gear on the motor that drives the rack. You can probably find a used one easily. They do fail, but not real often.

It's possible there is dirt in the tracks making the window operate hard, therefore straining the operating mechanism. I'd check that out while the door is apart. If everything was working smoothly, it shouldn't have broken.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:52 AM

Well, I got the door apart a little while ago, and here's what I see.

There are 2 cable guides coming from the motor area. One heads up to the top of the inner door, one to the bottom. The one to the bottom was pretty loose and flopping around. I found that when I hit the 'down' switch, it tightened up. The one that routed to the top, I grabbed and wiggled a bit to see if it was tight and the upper rounded plastic mount came out immediately. so, I've got the cable in my hand, still attached at the bottom but swinging in the breeze at the top. If my guess is right, all these cables are attached to the regulator. So I should just start looking for one?

Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you can find the regulators on ebay for about $60.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 AM

That'll work then. Many thanks everyone!

But, one last thing. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but looking at this piece in there I have to wonder at the complexity of the installation. Should I set aside an hour or two, or a half hour to complete the job?

Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM

Ahaa... Problem found. The cable that pulls the window up broke out of the plastic holder on the right hand rail. The plastic is broken so I can't get it to stay put, but at least I know for sure that I have to replace the regulator.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:06 PM

Ok, new regulator and motor installed. I checked the tracks and they're both open and clean, but the window still seems to struggle going up. I've loosened bolts, aligned this way and that (as much as allowed, which isn't much) and made sure the glass was fully in the tracks with nothing folded inward or anything. Is there something I'm missing somewhere as far as aligning or anything?