Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Passenger window works...then doesnt.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 01:15 AM
1 Year Member
Default Passenger window works...then doesnt.

It seems like my car is falling apart! I have a 2000 LS and passenger window stopped working last week for 2 days then miracally started working again for 5 or 6 days. Today it doesnt work. Neither the drivers or passengers side controls work. Any way to figure this out? I dont see how it can be the motor if it works perfectly without being sluggish while it does work.

Any ideas guys?

Old 08-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Default RE: Passenger window works...then doesnt.

It sounds like it could be the switches.

I've seen them on E-bay in the past...

Old 08-23-2006, 01:08 AM
1 Year Member

Does the drivers side switch override the passenger switch?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:36 AM

It should.

If in doubt, test the switch with a OHM meter.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:51 PM

sounds to me like you have a bad ground or a wire to the motor that is messed up.

the switches are desined so that the drivers side will work independetly from the pass side. and will cuse the window to stop if you push one up and the pther down at the same time. it is becuse you ground out the motor completly in both directions. (not recomended to do alot)

but if you have a wire that has gotten cut or caught in to something and was pinched or broke it could be causeing this to happen to you.

Also you can test the switches rather easily with a metter. just check them with the continuity checker so you have a tone when pressed on one side then revers to see if it works on the other side.

can be done with a test light also. do it the same way one side will gorund so you dont have a light but the other side should trigger a light. vise versa

Old 08-23-2006, 05:55 PM

I had the same problem with my monte when I first bought it.The window worked fine for the first day, then the second day after I drove it home, the window all of a sudden stopped working. Neither the passenger side control, or driver side control would work. (I also have a 2000LS) So I got pissed because I had done everything I thought I could do to fix it. I replaced the switches. . .didn't work. Replaced the fuses. . .didn't work. . .bought a new battery. . .didn't work. So I gave up and took it to chevy. . .after an hour and 45 precious dollars just for looking at it, they came back and told me that I need a new window motor AND regulator. So I was like cool, alright. Sounds like something fixable. . .so they gave me an estimate. . . .of $475!!! I said screw that. So they next week I went to advance auto parts and order myself a brand new window motor. . .not the regulator, becuase one you actually get the door panel off and look at it, it all runs from the motor. So if the motor goes, the regulator goes. But fix the motor, and you have a fixed regulater. Anyways. . .I ordered a motor and it cost me $115. Alot cheaper if you ask me. And its the easiest thing to install. All you do is take off the 4 screws holding the passenger side door panel on. 1 by the mirror, second by the door handle, and 3 and 4 by the hand grip on the arm rest. Then just run your hands around the door edging popping out the clips. Then carefully pull it out a few inches and unconnect the door lock, and the window switch from the door panel. Once completed sit the door panel aside. pull back the plastic of the door protecting it from water very carefully so you can reapply the seal. Then just get ourself a multipurpose screwdriver and the allenwrench head and unscrew the the bolts holding the motor to the door. easily done. Then (BE CAREFUL!!! Place another screw driver through the whole to the window bracket securing the window so it doesn't fall when you remove the motor!) Disconnect the motor gear from the regulator. Put some grease of the new gear of the new motor, and reinstall. Installation is the opposite of removal.

Sounds like alot, but it only took me 30 minutes. But if your unsure, take your time and watch for the obvious. . .and don't forget that screwdriver to hold up the window from falling. Also. . .this has to be done with the window in the up position. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me. I hope this helps some.

MonteriderLS

Old 08-23-2006, 06:04 PM

just out of curosity. did you see anythign on the out side of the motor to make it look like it was broken etc?

just wondering why it ate the motor like this if it would work once in a while and not other times etc...

Old 08-25-2006, 05:40 AM

No, I had never noticed anything that looked out of place myself. And it did take the dealership almost an hour to figure out what was wrong. . .and they had to test it to determine it was a bad motor. And in the midst of doing so they set my alarm off. . .smart people. Factory alarm and they set it off. Anyways, no, I didn't see anything that made it stand out.. It was really clean and looked fine to me.

MonteriderLS

Old 08-25-2006, 08:00 AM

ok thanks? most of the time you see the gear is striped or something. just figured it would be nice to know for future reffernce.

Thanks!!

Old 08-25-2006, 03:39 PM

I mean to be honest with you, there was really nothing visual that I spotted out. When I disconnected the motor from the regulator I saw the teeth of the gears. . .of which are plastic. But none of them were stripped out. All of it was still fresh white grease. My guess was the motor just burnt out. The previous owner of my car had two kids, so it could be possible they put that window up and down quite a number of times. So my thought is it just burnt out. I still have the old motor.

MonteriderLS

Quick Reply: Passenger window works...then doesnt.