Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Passenger power window (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/passenger-power-window-13988/)

keno1964 05-30-2009 11:47 PM

Passenger power window

Hey everyone, I searched through the forum but didn't find any problems exactly like I'm having right now.

Went outside a little while ago and noticed the passenger window was about half down. Thinking my daughter had left it down, I just turned the key on and hit the switch. What I heard was a *snap* or a *pop* from the passenger door and the window started slowly sliding downward. I opened the passenger door and hit that switch, nothing. I pressed down, and heard the motor whine, then up again and heard the motor whine once more. The window kept sliding slowly down though. So now I've got it taped up and am wondering what happened?

RocknSS04 05-31-2009 07:18 AM

Soundz like you popped gear on the motor that drives the rack. You can probably find a used one easily. They do fail, but not real often.

It's possible there is dirt in the tracks making the window operate hard, therefore straining the operating mechanism. I'd check that out while the door is apart. If everything was working smoothly, it shouldn't have broken.

keno1964 05-31-2009 09:52 AM

Well, I got the door apart a little while ago, and here's what I see.

There are 2 cable guides coming from the motor area. One heads up to the top of the inner door, one to the bottom. The one to the bottom was pretty loose and flopping around. I found that when I hit the 'down' switch, it tightened up. The one that routed to the top, I grabbed and wiggled a bit to see if it was tight and the upper rounded plastic mount came out immediately. so, I've got the cable in my hand, still attached at the bottom but swinging in the breeze at the top. If my guess is right, all these cables are attached to the regulator. So I should just start looking for one?

AwesomeSS 05-31-2009 10:15 AM

you can find the regulators on ebay for about $60.

keno1964 05-31-2009 10:17 AM

That'll work then. Many thanks everyone!

But, one last thing. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but looking at this piece in there I have to wonder at the complexity of the installation. Should I set aside an hour or two, or a half hour to complete the job?

keno1964 05-31-2009 12:40 PM

Ahaa... Problem found. The cable that pulls the window up broke out of the plastic holder on the right hand rail. The plastic is broken so I can't get it to stay put, but at least I know for sure that I have to replace the regulator.

keno1964 06-02-2009 04:06 PM

Ok, new regulator and motor installed. I checked the tracks and they're both open and clean, but the window still seems to struggle going up. I've loosened bolts, aligned this way and that (as much as allowed, which isn't much) and made sure the glass was fully in the tracks with nothing folded inward or anything. Is there something I'm missing somewhere as far as aligning or anything?