Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Old School Monte guys...need help with motor mounts

Old 04-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Default Old School Monte guys...need help with motor mounts

I need somebody with a mid 80's monte (G-Body) to measure straight across the motor mount bolt holes...surely somebody has an engine out for one reason er other....I'm re-setting my sbc in my Regal and I'm going poly....and getting rid of the the solid mounts I had welded to the frame...However I can't seem to find the right cups that bolt to the block....I have two sets and from mounting surface to the center of the motor mount hole is approx 2 13/16" on one set and 2 1/4" on the other. The problem is with the motor mount pads bolted to the frame in either of the two places they can sit even the shallowest set of cups is still to deep by approx 1/4" on each side. My measurement from center to center on the frame mounted poly m-mounts is approx 16 1/2"....which is a 1/2" to narrow with the shallowest set of cups on the block....I found a mid 80's camaro and it measured 17" but it's also not a G-body...So I need somebody with a factory sbc G-body to measure and see what they get....either for some odd reason my frame (81 Regal) is a hair to narrow(which it should be identical to a monte) or monte's have an even shallower set of motor mount cups that I need to get my hands on. I know this is a lot for a simple answer but I figured I let loose with what I've found so there will be fewer questions....Thanks for your time and help...

Jerod

[IMG]local://upfiles/2507/3F77C43E7968488F9629167B7462B70A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2507/0ECE33C735134362AF172C45E02B4281.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Default RE: Old School Monte guys...need help with motor mounts

i dont know how much help i can be but all g-body frames are the same i had my motor out not to long ago and i changed the mounts as far as i can remember the frame is driled for 2 mount location for a chevy motor and a olds motor and i am not sure wher on the 2 mounts the buick motor falls on just make sure that the poly mountsare for a g-body car as well as the clams on the motor i fought for a day trying to put my 400sbc in my car 1 day then i started to blame the poly mounts for being diffrent but all that time the clams where off a truck so i could not line them up

Old 05-02-2007, 12:11 AM

yeah all G bodys have the same bolt pattrens there

Also if you go to a bone yard you can look in to a malibu waggon also.
nova
Monte
malibus of any body style

i cant remeber the set back i did on mine we pretty much messured it off the frame rails to level and made sur eall our angels were right and put a dummy rad. in place and mounted it then welded the monts there when it got to the right height

Old 05-02-2007, 07:27 AM

I have had them in both places they can mount with the same measurement in both roughly. The problem is finding something around here. Anyhing older than 10 years has been crushed. I was hoping that the measurement between the poly mount bolt holes would jive with what I came up with and maybe the cup that bolts to the block is what is different, but thats why I need some measurements. So that I can compare. The poly mount inserts are correct for a sbc monte and the clam shells are as correct as imagine they could be. I mean there's no way to really change the clam shell up enough design wise to really move the insert around significantly. I can't imagine my problem having anything to do with the clam shell side. the bottom is flat so the insert sits as close to the frame as possible, which in turn moves them as far apart as possible. Surely somebody has a motor out. I know I can't keep all my cars running for the life of me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2507/7BF339792C98466B887C521F2E73E17C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 AM

nobody on this forum has a 80's Monte with the engine out?....one simple measurement would cure my pain. Bolt hole center to center across the lower motor mounts with them bolted to the frame in the factory spot. Thanks for your time,

Jerod