Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oil Leak PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 PM
1 Year Member
Default Oil Leak PLEASE HELP

What's up MCF... I have a 2005 MC LT, about 2 weeks ago I did a general oil change like I do every 3 months and I usually use valvoline full synthetic but advance had the nex gen on sale so since it was valvoline and still synthetic I decided to give it a try. As I was changing the oil I spilled a little bit down the side of the motor because I didn't have my funnel but nothing major. A few days later and even that same day of the oil change I noticed spotting and about a week later I was almost a quart low. So today I changed my oil again because I thought maybe it was the filter since it was covered in oil. I also changed the plug and switched over to the valvoline max life which I wanted to do instead of the nex gen oil. I also put another drain plug on hoping it would change something. As I was installing everything I decided to remove the passenger tire to see if I could notice anywhere the leak was coming from but I couldn't. The whole area where the oil filter is and around the lines are extremely wet and I can't diagnose the problem. Does anyone have a clue on what it could be or what I could check??? My car had 128k miles on it by the way....

✌️OHFIVE

Old 11-05-2013, 10:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres what I suggest you can do to try to find where the leak is coming from. Since you said the area around the wheel area seems to be the wetist with oil residue...

I would get some simple green and spray down those areas thoroughly... just to remove the residual oil.... let it set for about 10 mins then hose it off...

That way at least you have a clean start at trying to find the leak...
Maybe, let it sit after the initial cleaning for say 30 mins to an hour and see where there maybe signs of a leak?

Its pretty obvious after driving the vehicle when its leaking doesnt help as the turbulence tends to spread it everywhere...

I am not aware of any common leak on your model year... But its a point to start to resolve the leaking.

I'm sure someone else will chime in and add a few ideas as well Good Luck! Besure to let us know when you find/fix the leak. So you can pass the knowledge along so that in the future should someone have the same leak.. They will know right where to look.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My best guess is the oil pressure switch/sending unit (which ever you have). If I recall, it's just below the power steering pump (which is above the oil filter). It's a round cylinder shaped item with connector on it. They sometimes fail and allow oil to seep or spray out the connector. You can check this usually by disconnecting the wire, use a mirror and watch the connector and have someone start the car.

Typically not a hard fix and not expensive. here is also a special socket for oil sensors that can help.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

^ It could be the oil pressure switch

I have heard of oil filter gaskets getting stuck on the filler, so when you put another filter up there it creates a leak. Don't forget to check the valve cover gaskets.

Just some things to keep in mind.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM
1 Year Member

Ok I think I remember seeing that switch and it was sort of wet as well. I will get under and check it on Saturday, depending on how much it is I will just consider replacing it anyway. What all steps do I need to know in order to change the oil pressure switch anyone??

Old 11-07-2013, 05:28 PM
1 Year Member

nitehawkjcb. Yes your're right about the gaskets being stuck on their, that was one reason why I replaced the oil and filter again to make sure the gasket wasnt stuck from the previous filter. I checked the valve covers from the top of the car and both were dry but it seemed when I checked from the bottom it was wet in that area. Maybe if I try to post some pictures, it can enlighten the fact.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 PM

10 Year Member

I believe you have a 3800? If so, raise the passenger side of the car, pop the wheel off, you may need to remove an inner fender skirt.... Unplug the wire from it, I recommend using the socket designed for this job, take the old one off, spin the new one on, and reverse. No biggie.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM
1 Year Member

Whats up MC fam, its been almost a week now since I changed that oil sensor switch that was recommended by a member here and I think that solved my issue. Every couple days after the install, I would check my oil level and everything seemed to be intact. Installation was a piece of cake: Remove the passenger tore and located the switch. Advance Auto Parts has a socket that fits over the switch to make the removal and re installation very easy. I will come back in another week to conclude and make sure everything is still fine. Thanks to those who helped out frfr

Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 PM

10 Year Member

That is great news!! Hopefully many problem free miles now