Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Obnoxious squeak every time I reverse! Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Default Obnoxious squeak every time I reverse! Help

Everytime I back out of my driveway I get this what can sometimes be very loud and obnoxious screeching noise, to the point where you want to cover your ears. Sometimes it's just a little squeal, I was wondering what the problem could be, it sounds like it's coming from both front tires. The break pads on them were just changed recently so that might have something to do with it. Just bought the car

Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JFMonteCarlo03
Everytime I back out of my driveway I get this what can sometimes be very loud and obnoxious screeching noise, to the point where you want to cover your ears. Sometimes it's just a little squeal, I was wondering what the problem could be, it sounds like it's coming from both front tires. The break pads on them were just changed recently so that might have something to do with it. Just bought the car
Welcome to the forum...

Have you had the front end checked on the vehicle?
Could be dry CV joints on the axles...
Maybe when the person did the brakes..they weren't done correctly and the wear squeakers are to close to the rotor? Maybe the backing plate is also rubbing the rotor? something to consider...

I'm sue someone else will chime in with more suggestions/ideas!
Once you do figure it out..please let us know so we can pass this info on to others that maybe experiencing the same thing.

Thanks for joining the MCF Family!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just off the top of my mind, I would have the pads/rotors inspected. Something may be bound that the noise only surfaces in reverse. Check for even pad wear and also ensure that each brake has a pad with a warning tab (and that pad should be on the outside face of the wheel, not the pad the piston is pushing). I have seen where a guy at a shop put both pads with warning tabs on one wheel and then pads without tabs on the other wheel.

But that is where I would first suspect without actually hearing the noise myself.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. This is an awesome forum site and I'll be keeping updated. I've took off the 2 front wheels and visually inspected the assembly. Nothing seemed out of place or loose. But now during reverse when I turn it turns my traction light on and makes a knocking noise, or it will sometimes do that at hard turns. Gonna take it to the shop in a couple days and take apart the brakes and check everything you guys have said

Old 04-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

It's not likely but I would check out the hub assembly as Well. Along with the brakes and CBS Axle. But more than likely It's the brakes.
I only suggest the hub assembly because you are getting the squeak and your Traction light around hard turns. The Traction and ABS are associated with the hub bearings. Otherwise I would say It's definitely a brake problem.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

It's not likely but I would check out the hub assembly as Well. Along with the brakes and CBS Axle. But more than likely It's the brakes.
I only suggest the hub assembly because you are getting the squeak and your Traction light around hard turns. The Traction and ABS are associated with the hub bearings. Otherwise I would say It's definitely a brake problem.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with JC, since the trac light came on, inspecting the wheel hub would be advised. Just check the entire suspension for anything loose or with play in it or broken.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Thank you!!!