Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Newbie Looking for Help

Old 01-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Default Newbie Looking for Help

Hi everyone. I'm looking to purchase a 2000-2005 Monte Carlo SS as a daily driver. I have read a lot of good things about the cars and their reliability. I do have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me out with.

What are some things to look for when buying one?

What areas are prone to rust that I need to watch out for?

Is there a better year to buy?

Is the reliability really as good as the reviews are?

What are common wear items I would need to possibly replace and rough cost. I do my own work.

How many miles is considered too many for a used car? Most I look at are about 120k.

What's a good price to pay for one with about 120k?

Thanks for y'all's help!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Mike,
Welcome and thanks for joining the MCF...

Heres a link I found you should find interesting as far as problems and soulutions...

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...lutions-30154/

The key to these types of vehicles is basically a good maintenance program. So, any info you can get about how well any Monte your interested in was taken care of would definitely help you in picking one worthwhile.

Hopefully with this info as well as from others should help you decide which Monte is right for you...
You'll find that Monte Carlo owners here on this forum have a deep love of there Monte..So, once you decide and let us know what year/generation of one you pick out theres lots of info,tips, fixes that we all are very willing to help you out with...

Pls feel free to fill out your profile (so we can help with the area/state you live in as well as when your able pls post some pics of your newly purchased Monte Carlo...

Pls feel free to join in on the daily conversations in the Daily Blog...
Even if its just to say hello or lets us know what progress your making in your choice of the Monte's your looking at!
Thanks for joining the MCF Family!

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Mike, Welcome to MCF!
I can't answer all your questions but here are some answers. I'm sure other members will chime in and give you more:
Coolant Elbows, they come out of the intake manifold to route the coolant through the Altenater bracket then into the heater core.
MAP sensor and PCV valve, IAC, TPS, MAS, FPR, EGR, and then your normal tune up items, plugs, wires, oil, trans fluid, coolant levels and condition. Hub bearings, exhaust condition. Dies the CAT glow red after idling. Is the CEL on?
Mist of these are normal wear and tare items and are Farley inexpensive to replace. There are some things common to these cars but I am still learning about theses and Although I've listed a few I think other members might help you out better than I. Mine is an 02 SS. With 11 years on her I do not have any rust, Yet. I Hope this helps you in your Search. Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing your new Monte!!!!!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search!