Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Newbie question.....looking for advice and ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Newbie question.....looking for advice and ideas

It has been a while since I posted here. I have a 2000 LS with the 3400 motor in it. I was wondering if there are any performance parts for thesemotors if so, where? I was also considering a 3500 top swap. Would something like that be more economical. Of course, the L67 swap from Milzy is also on my list as well for possibilities. What is everyone's thought and suggestions? Before anyone mentions it, I will not sell my LS for a SS. Thank you in advance.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I just recently added the thread in the link below. It should hopefully give you some ideas:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...p-power-46071/

BTW - If you are looking to ultimately do an L67 swap, I would not even bother spending a dime to mod the 3400 your have. Just drive it until you can afford the swap.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member

Lots of great budget ideas on that thread. I was beginning to think that my Monte was a project that was started but never finished. I have a custom exhaust system from Lou's. I saw no U-bend in the exhaust last week when it was getting the water pump replaced. So the exhaust portion of the project is done.

I have a drop-in K&N air filter in the stock air box now. I am thinking about getting a Wizaird cold air intake to replace that.

You mentioned the throttle body in your list. What would be the largest size that I can bolt onto the intake without losing low end power? I noticed that I can get a ported intake from WOT with a 65mm throttle body opening. If I go with that I would have to get a PCM. I was thinking from Milzy.

Once that is done, I was thinking about getting a rebuild kit for the transmission and have the current one rebuilt.

Am I overthinking this or am I on the right track here? My goal is to have this done by the summer.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:03 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by mc1978
Lots of great budget ideas on that thread.
Thanks. I figure that thread would be pretty helpful to many people.

Originally Posted by mc1978
You mentioned the throttle body in your list. What would be the largest size that I can bolt onto the intake without losing low end power? I noticed that I can get a ported intake from WOT with a 65mm throttle body opening. If I go with that I would have to get a PCM. I was thinking from Milzy.
First, you asked about things that would be economical. On the 3400, as I understand, when you start getting into ported intakes and larger throttle bodies, you are leaving the realm of economical, it's no longer a low budget build. This is why I stated "These are NOT cheap horse power, they are not low-budget-mods" in that post. The items in that second post on that thread are more costly. I know they exist, I have not done any of them, nor have I researched them. Sadly, I do not know many answers for you about them.

I don't believe many 3400 Monte owners have gone with any of the more "wild" mods for the Monte. I'm sure if you e-mail Milzy, they can give you some good input on those mods. I've e-mailed them some questions before and they were always fast to respond with good information.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks for the info Maniac. I think it will be in my best interest to just stay with the economical mods. That means there is only one last piece I need, the Wizaird cold air intake.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM

10 Year Member

No worries. You could always try gutting your air box. I think member Overdose did it and has pics (if I think of it later, I can see if I can find his thread). Would be the "cheap" CAI lol.

Also, I recommend the L67 coils if you can get them at a good price (pay attention to what I mentioned about L67 in that other thread, OEM, best way to go).