Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Need to pass inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 02:39 PM

The Drive Cycle processcan be seen at this site:

OBD II Drive Cycle (reset car diagnostic monitors )

Hope this helps some one.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 SS
Car companys need to fix this crap... my dad has a Toyota, and he can't get it inspected until its fixed. He's been going at it for weeks, now inspection is up he still needs to drive it just to see if it the light will come back on... anyways, more of a rant then a solution, but good luck!
2002 SS,

I FULLY understand your rant... I think there is a dollar limit that once you spend this amount on emission, they have to pass your car... I think the amount is $200, but this may have changed or may differ from state to state.... I hope your Dad gets his car fixed.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

times like this you need a guy to get your stickers lol

Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 PM

Not sure what that means.....

Old 03-14-2014, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rboverman
Not sure what that means.....
Lol basically a connection to where you get ya inspection stickers regardless if u pass or fail

Old 03-14-2014, 06:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

'rboverman' is on the right track. If you don't have any codes but all monitors are not in the ready state it's just a matter of putting the car under certain load conditions during a 'drive cycle' to set them. Sometimes it will take more then one cycle, but all monitors should go to the ready state.

Here is the link again in case you missed it the first time:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Edit: Temperature shouldn't prevent ready state. The PCM should compensate for that.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 03-14-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Edit: Temperature shouldn't prevent ready state. The PCM should compensate for that.
Not according to what I read in the GM shop book, at least in regards to my '04 Grand Am. The shop book actually states in order for the Catalyst test to run, one of the conditions that must be met is that the outside/ambient temp must be 40 degrees or higher. Based on that, if it's not meeting the requirement, the Catalyst test won't run, therefore that is why my readiness monitor is not achieving a ready/complete state. Since I got the car, if I were to guess, I've put about 300 miles on it and still, not ready.
I have a DHP PowrTuner and I saw a setting in the PCM for what temp to start the catalyst test, so I can adjust it (but I'd rather not, as there is a reason GM decided on 40 degrees and I don't know what it was to mess with it).
Again, this is an '04 Grand Am. Some of this information can vary between different cars.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by owens91
Lol basically a connection to where you get ya inspection stickers regardless if u pass or fail
LOL!! Right!!! I don't know any... How bout you??? LOL!!!

Old 03-14-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
'rboverman' is on the right track. If you don't have any codes but all monitors are not in the ready state it's just a matter of putting the car under certain load conditions during a 'drive cycle' to set them. Sometimes it will take more then one cycle, but all monitors should go to the ready state.

Here is the link again in case you missed it the first time:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Thanks everyone.... my time is running out.... IN NC, the emissions test is part of the tax process and registration process.... Unless I can figure a quick way to get this going... I'm going to be in deep trouble.... I think I'll go to the shop and see if they have any ideas.... Blayne Overman

Old 03-14-2014, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rboverman
LOL!! Right!!! I don't know any... How bout you??? LOL!!!

yup i go to him every year becasue i kno i might fail because my track off and ABS light is on. he tells me everything that is wrong and then gives me the stickers

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: Need to pass inspection