Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need help with trunk light

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Need help with trunk light

ok i thought i would get more into the detail of my trunk light problem. i dont have a working trunk light, and do not have a trunk ajar light when the car is on and trunk open. so i tore into the switch. and ohmed out the switch. it works. but i have no power coming to it. via the plug with 2 wires. although it is a 3 prong plug?

where as the actual trunk switch has 3 wires on it. colors are black/red, black, and black/yellow

now when i put my test light into the actual plug for the trunk light itself i have constant power coming out of the orange wire. and nothing on the blue/white

now i have this plug that hangs in my trunk. and has no home. and has the same red/black wire that is at my trunk switch going into it.

i actually have power on 2 of the prongs constant. so i tried running a jumper wire from one of the hot wires to the trunk light/ajar switch. but still doesnt do anything when i trip the trunk switch

so needless to say im very confused. i cant get this figured out for the life of me. yes the dome light works, that is on the same circuit as the trunk. and the remote trunk release works also.....any help, or info would be greatly appreciated. its almost like im missing a wire on the 3 prong plug with 2 wires. its like the trunk switch has no way of sending power out when in the open position. or am i wrong???

Old 06-03-2012, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member

any ideas???

Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im makeing a guess here:

You mentioned the trunk opened remotely....

Which means you have an alarm system? or is it the key fob from the factory? that opens it remotely? what year is the trunk light your trying to instahl?...vs....what year is your vehicle?...maybe its the "wrong" one?

Looks to me like you need a 2 prong..not a 3 prong?

also the blue/white is more than likely the power wire and the orange is a ground....(white generally indicates power, the stripe) and (orange is a "general" in line ground) meaning its a multiple ground. (like a series ground)

The other larger plug that you said: has no home.....Is more than likely for other options that you dont have or for another vehicle type....there are wireing harneses that fit multiple type vehicles...Cadillac,buick olds etc....

one other thing.....
Pls tell me thats not a phillips screw in the sidewall of that spare? with rtv silicone over it....

Last edited by STUMPMI; 06-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Im makeing a guess here:

You mentioned the trunk opened remotely....

Which means you have an alarm system? or is it the key fob from the factory? that opens it remotely? what year is the trunk light your trying to instahl?...vs....what year is your vehicle?...maybe its the "wrong" one?

Looks to me like you need a 2 prong..not a 3 prong?

also the blue/white is more than likely the power wire and the orange is a ground....(white generally indicates power, the stripe) and (orange is a "general" in line ground) meaning its a multiple ground. (like a series ground)

The other larger plug that you said: has no home.....Is more than likely for other options that you dont have or for another vehicle type....there are wireing harneses that fit multiple type vehicles...Cadillac,buick olds etc....

one other thing.....
Pls tell me thats not a phillips screw in the sidewall of that spare? with rtv silicone over it....
car is a 02 monte ss.

trunk opened remotely as in with the key fob, or trunk release button.

as far as i know it is the factory trunk light. it only has 2 prongs. i think you got confused on the trunk SWITCH. it has a 3 wire prong going into it, with 2 wires where as the switch itself only has 3wires.

thats a sub that has silicone on it with a phillips screw