Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need help 02 SS Security no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Default Need help 02 SS Security no start

Hey ya'll i have a 2002 Monte carlo SS (moms car actually) that she accidently left the keys in the ignition in the on position and ended up draining the battery. It is in the garage and sense i did not have a jumper pack or any way to jump the battery i pulled it out and took it to the local auto parts store to be recharged. I put the battery back in and it would not even turn over (security light is on). There is a button on the drivers side where the fuse panel is to disable the security (red light on the radio turns off) but the security message on the dash display still stays on. I have tried starting the vehicle with it on and off and nothing. I then tried the relearn procedure (turn the key to the on position for 10 mins then back to off for 20-30 seconds) 3 times and still nothing. Here is the button that disables the security... IMG_20130513_200102.jpg

In the picture above the security is on (red light is lit) if i push it in the light turns off along with the security light on the radio. Before the battery died it had no issues starting. I have talked to a buddy that is a GM guy and a certified mechanic as well and he said he is drawing a blank on what it could be. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Try the security relearn again but leave the key in the ON position for a minimum of 11 minutes - not 10:

11 minutes ON
10 seconds OFF
x3
Start car.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Try the security relearn again but leave the key in the ON position for a minimum of 11 minutes - not 10:

11 minutes ON
10 seconds OFF
x3
Start car.
Ah i guess that one minute is why it didn't work... i will give it a try tonight and see what happens!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 PM

turn the alarm off and lock the door. open the door with the key. than try to start the car. it should start.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM

I tried both of the suggestions and nothing... when we first got the vehicle we went to get in the car and the alarm went nuts, so the dealer tech came out and pushed the button shown above not sure if he held it in or what but he got the vehicle to start and never had a issue till now ( i messed with it for a good 30 minutes trying different combos). The remote for the alarm system on the key chain is dead and has been sense she never had to use it. I called the dealer and was told they would call me back when someone is available (typical dealer). It has a aftermarket security system made by Osprey, i guess i may have to pull the panel below the steering wheel to see if i can locate the module and maybe a part number? What if i plugged in a scan tool would it throw a certain security code so i could look it up to see how to fix it? This is my first time dealing with a GM security issue so...

Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Mite sound funny but take it out of park and put it back in park. also there is a wire harnness on top of the motor by the battery make sure all the wires are snug. My owners book says lock and unlock the car with the key? also get the battery for the remote. look up opsprey trouble shooting? the key in door work for my car before. the first time i got the car had this problem and had the alarm guy come out he found the loose wire on the harnness.