Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1998 LS Won't Start - Security Light Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Default 1998 LS Won't Start - Security Light Flashing

OK, I am at a loss. I have a 1998 Monte Carlo LS that I can't get to start. I have tested the starter, it's fine. I get power to everything (windows, lights, radio, fuel pump, etc.) it just won't crank. I even have power going to the starter, it just won't start when the key is turned (i have tried both sets of keys). My security light is flashing (and it won't stop, even if I wait 10 to 20 minutes or more). And it worked fine all day before I drove it home from an hour away, got ready to go somewhere, then nothing. I do seem to recall that prior to this that the security light was solid while running, but didn't think anything of it, because the car was functioning fine. I have been told many things that could be the problem. It could be the ignition/lock cylinder, it could be a relay, it could be a fusible link. I was told I can bypass the PassKey II system, I was told that I definitely have to take it to a dealer to replace parts and reset things. I have been told so many things that I don't know where to start. So, anything that you enthusiasts can do to help me would be immensely appreciated. I am pretty handy, and can handle most repair tasks with good direction, but I am not a fully knowledgeable car guy, so if you can start me in the right direction, I can take it and run. Thanks in advance for you time and attention to this matter.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Default Thanks for trying, but I think that those links related to newer MCs....

I appreciate the attempt at help. But those links really only seemed to relate to 2000 and newer MCs. Mine is a 1998. All they did was reinforce that I may have to go to a dealer and get screwed really hard out of a lot of money. I can't justify spending $500+ on a car that is over 10 years old with over 100k miles on it. If I can't solve this problem, the car is either getting parted-out or donated somewhere for a tax right-off. PLEASE HELP. The last thing I want to do is buy another car right now, I have a 2nd child on the way and I am trying to buy a house soon.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sounds like a passlock issue to me, too. even though 5th and 6th gen montes differ greatly in styling and had very differant engine options, the damn passlock setup is almost identicle, and just as flawed. the only thing i can say is that perhaps you can bypass the entire system with another key / ignition cylinder, but you might have to figure out a way to " trick " the computer into thinking that the passlock is working, so you could wind up back at square one. maby you could bypass the ignition and jump the starter to see if its really the passlock? ive never tried this, but it might work as a way to test if its the passlock? just be carefull.....

i wish i could help you out more, but thankfully my car has not had passlock issues YET, so im not extremly versed on the whole system, except that it sucks.
hopefully you can get the problem resolved without a big expense, and feel free to do a serch of the forum with any keyword you can think of, im sure there are more threads on this than what jamie posted. good luck

Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

'98 may have a PassKEY instead of PassLOCK, I'm not 100% sure. I'm sure it has something to do with it either way. Does your key have a chip?

Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Photobucket
Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

dusty, i figured you would catch this thred soon. do you have a " GM ignition security system failure" radar, or what? lol. im glad you are versed in the passkey / lock systems, what would we do without you

Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Photobucket

LOL, been there, done that, did lot's of research in between not starting and getting repaired. I like to have an idea what's wrong before I call someone so that I can attempt to have an intelligent conversation.

I figured out the problem with hubby's truck by searching online. Narrowed it down to the only possible cause, called the right person and got it fixed without having to go through the dealer and a bunch of unnecessary diagnostics.

The internet is a wonderful tool when you choose to use it as such. Reference, reference, and cross reference, then do it all again.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Default same problem with my monte carlo

what was wrong with it did u have to change anything ?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 PM

Hey All,
I have the exact same problem with a 97MC I just bought, the key does have a chip in it so I thought that may fix it so I had the dealership make me a new one but it didn't make any difference ($53.00 blown). I can hear a slight click by the fuse box on the passenger side under the hood and also hear the fuel pump but no crank, light, windows blower all work and yes the security light is flashing. Help!!