Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Missfire at 4000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:02 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
your local to me i just seen. drive down here and i will look under the car and see if its glowing. i also have compression and leak down testers we could try diagnosing it more if you want. if it can make it here.
im afraid to drive the car 5 minutes down the road let alone 45 lol. but thanks for the offer! i did look under my car the one day i got home and it didnt look any abnormal color to me. i made an appointment at the dealer for 2moro morning to have them figure it out and reprogram my computer. i really hope they figure it out, and its a simple fix. ill let everyone know what they say.
i started it up yesterday to move it out of the way so my hubby could cut a branch down and she was missing so bad i thought she was gona stall. took a bit for her to level out and run a bit normal till i could trust putting it into gear, but the last time i started it she ran perfect at start up, the time before that was real crappy...so its so intermittent that its hard to figure out. im hoping its just the pcm needing programmed to be in tune with this engines timing.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Double check the crank sensor wiring. It has to be routed a certain way or it is very easy to crimp the wiring and short it out.
Have you checked the crankshaft sensor wiring? I hate to sound redundant, but I have seen this happen more then once. If the wiring harness is not rerouted exactly how it came out the wiring is probably being pinched. The crank sensor sends signals to the PCM which in turn tells the ICM when and which coil to fire. If the signal from the crank sensor is not sequential (sending out intermittent signals) it will cause the engine to misfire. Double check the sensor wiring. After a crankshaft sensor replacement the engine should fire right up without hesitation. Sometimes a crank relearn may be required, but a lot of them will relearn on their own within a few miles.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Have you checked the crankshaft sensor wiring? I hate to sound redundant, but I have seen this happen more then once. If the wiring harness is not rerouted exactly how it came out the wiring is probably being pinched. The crank sensor sends signals to the PCM which in turn tells the ICM when and which coil to fire. If the signal from the crank sensor is not sequential (sending out intermittent signals) it will cause the engine to misfire. Double check the sensor wiring. After a crankshaft sensor replacement the engine should fire right up without hesitation. Sometimes a crank relearn may be required, but a lot of them will relearn on their own within a few miles.
yeah the harness is fine. we changed the crank sensor thinking that was the problem and she started right up, seemed to run perfect, we thought it was fixed, till i put it in reverse and she missed 3 times in reverse, then went down the road and she seemed ok, had more power, until i hit 4000 rpm. when i got back from test drive we sat in the driveway with it revved holding it at 4 and she missed over and over at 4 and my exhaust smelled went away. the next day i started her up and she ran like crap at start up, then smoothed out about 20 seconds later. day after that she started smooth but ran like utter crap while driving. gona let the dealership figure it out this morning....as long as she makes it there lol

Old 05-10-2014, 03:38 PM

ok so the dealership told me after and hour and a half, that my 3rd spark plug wire boot was ripped inside, they changed it for me took her for a run and problem was fixed. i paid them $90 and left for auto zone for a new set of wires. upgraded to the gold set, had the hubby change them, took her down the road and i thought she had a few tiny misfires. i floored it and she seemed like she had more power, not in tip top shape tho....but she has taken me down that road before so as soon as i pulled in the driveway i slowly revved the engine again and just as i had suspected as soon as it hit 4k rpm it missed. so my hubby changed the camshaft sensor from my old engine today to see if that last sensor made a difference. she had alot more power, i didnt feel any miss fires during driving or at idle. this is the BEST she has ran since we changed the engine over. BUT....after the test run she STILL does the miss fire at 4krpm. my best friend said maybe there is something in the computer that doesnt let it rev up like that in park to help protect the engine.i never revved my other engine so i wouldnt know this.....is this a possibility? i called the dealership back and told them the car wasnt fixed, they want me to drop it off so they can spend more time with it. i dont have the money to pay them to do that....not at $65 an hour.... they didnt say ANYTHING about reprogramming the computer, doing any relearns or anything along those lines. the cliff is getting closer

Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Sounds like the park rev limiter is enabled when in drive....

is this what my friend is telling me? i didnt know my car had anything like this. i did a search on auto zone and it didnt find anything in parts and redirected me to a timing control, rev limiter that was over $400. im going to run my car today around town and see how she does before i take her back to the dealership and fork out more money to them.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nightmagic11801
is this what my friend is telling me? i didnt know my car had anything like this. i did a search on auto zone and it didnt find anything in parts and redirected me to a timing control, rev limiter that was over $400. im going to run my car today around town and see how she does before i take her back to the dealership and fork out more money to them.
Yes me and your friend are talking about the same thing.

Sounds like a bad wiring issue and unless you can use a multi meter and check all wires and sensors it's hard to diagnose.

Keep us posted

Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 PM

ok, so this morning i actually got somewhere. i never took her back to the dealer because i just dont have the money. i drove her all around yesterday and she seems fine, except for an ever so slight misfire. (if a non gear head would get in my car they would never even know there was anything wrong, thats how slight it is) My uncle called me and said bring it over to his buddy steve who has a scanner. he spent about a half hour with it. at first it read "fuel pump relay something something" and i said "what?! thats new..." then it told him there was a misfire on cyl 6 (before scans it was 3, then 2, then 3 again), my idle will not stay at 695 like its supposed to it jumps around 733, 710, 695, 701,699, ect ect..he revved it a few times and told me the 4k thing is just my rev limiter kicking in doing its job (yay!! ok one good thing came out of this) then he was turning her off and back on again and he couldnt get the computer to even communicate. It kept telling him to start and idle the car...while the car was already running. at one point it told him he needed to turn the ac off to access something, he leans over and says "the ac isnt even on!!"(and i also proceeded to tell him my ac has not worked in a cpl years even tho everything is brand new) then a cpl times of starting the car i noticed REALLY fast on the screen it said something about the crank sensor. He honestly thinks that my computer is junk. its not reading things like it should, its sending out mixed signals all over the place. it just doesnt know what to do. Turbo- i think i have your gremlin!! lol. Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies.