Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Low oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Default Low oil pressure gauge

I have a 2004 MC SS. Yesterday I drove the car and when the car shifted it was 'hard' a little jerk. I also noticed (after driving about 20min stop and go) my oil pressure gauge was in red (while at a stop light). When I drove it went up a little half way and back in red at a stop. No check engine light, no oil pressure low light just the gauge. Parked for about 30min, the jerking went away and pressure at half.
Today I noticed as I the engine heated up the pressure went down. By the time I got home (20 min) I was almost in red. When driving at about the 1/4 point on the gauge and at stop almost in red. No shift jerking today.
I checked the oil hot, half way up the "xxx" on dipstick.
Only other info I normally use 5w30 but last oil change they put in 10w30. Last change was 2,000 ago

So not sure why the jerking only only trip and
The low oil pressure gauge, no lights or anything to run codes on.

Hope I explained this I am not a car person. Any suggestions would help.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is normal for the pressure to drop a little once the engine is warm (at idle) and it is also normal for the pressure to rise under acceleration. However, your pressure does sound a bit low. Have you checked the oil level when the engine has sat for a while - like first thing in the morning? It sounds like you're low on oil, but perhaps not low enough to trigger the low oil light. The only other thing (oil related) that comes to mind is old/contaminated oil, but you said it was changed not too long ago so I don't think that is it.

If the oil level looks good you may want to have a shop check the oil pressure. It's possible that the oil pump could be worn. As it heats up the clearances expand and the pressure drops. This would be worst case scenario.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 PM

Should the pressure be in red though?
I did check the oil level this morning and it's about half way up the 'xxx' on dipstick.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

The pressure shouldn't be in the red zone.

It could be something as simple as the gauge itself malfunctioning, but I wouldn't put all my cookies in the one basket when it comes to oil. There should be a pressure test that can be done, not certain if you can do it yourself or if you need a machine, but it would be worth investigating.

The oil pressure should move up and down with the revolution of the motor, so when you are at a stop sign the pressure is low, but once accelerating the pressure rise to the optimal point.

The hard shift you were mentioning is more than likely your solenoid in your transmission sticking, it is a common issue with out cars and when you stop the vehicle for a period of time it goes away and then comes back when it feels the need. You can buy a rebuild for this problem at either zzp or 3800, I can't remember which website has it at the moment.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oil pressure should never read in the red. My guess is you have a faulty gauge, faulty sender, faulty oil pump iif oil level is good and the oil is not old.

Run a oil pressure test ASAP if it's the oil pump and you keep driving it low on oil pressure you will trash the engine.