Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Help - Oil pressure or no Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Default Help - Oil pressure or no Oil pressure

We own a 2006 Monte Carlo with a 3.5 ltr engine. Yesterday my was was driving it and she got a 3 ding tone with a msg "low oil pressure shut off engine". She pulled over and my son checked the oil. All looked good and after allowing the motor to cool a bit she took off again. A short time later she got the same msg. She called a dealership and was told if it has oil and the oil light didnt come on it should be ok. She took off and after a few miles she got the same msg and the oil light come on. This time the dinging noise was continuous. She called me we towed it home.

I have an oil pressure gage and am trying to locare the oil pressure sending unit. I found a sending unit abive the oil filter. A very tough area to get to. Just trying to find out if this is it and and any other ideas on what to check.

Thanks

Randy

Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres a thought to try....

Un hook the battery for 10 mins to reset the computer...

Or you could possibly have a faulty sending unit....(If the newer models have one)...

Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

On my SS, there is a separate sensor for oil pressure and oil level. The oil level sensor is located directly on the oil pan while the oil pressure sending unit (OPSU) is located right next to the throttle body. If I unplug the OPSU, I get the same message that you posted. If I unplug the oil level sensor, my message says low oil level, turn off engine. I would make sure that your OPSU is fully plugged in. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
On my SS, there is a separate sensor for oil pressure and oil level. The oil level sensor is located directly on the oil pan while the oil pressure sending unit (OPSU) is located right next to the throttle body. If I unplug the OPSU, I get the same message that you posted. If I unplug the oil level sensor, my message says low oil level, turn off engine. I would make sure that your OPSU is fully plugged in. Good luck!
Thanks for the clarification!