Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

loose cables and hoses and tach??! help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Exclamation loose cables and hoses and tach??! help please

Hey guys, I was going to fix my tach today when i ran into something else. Well a few things actually. She wouldnt start, battery doesnt hold a charge over a week so Thats my first problem i have to take care of. I cut the filter off from the brown wire and the wire going into the cab and spliced them together. I touched it to make sure current was going throw and i felt the current. I went back into the cab, tach still unresponsive whats so ever. I turn it off and then turn it back on and the tach does a full loop around and then just stops at random spots. After words I gave up and now i plan on just buying an after market tach. The problem with that is that I dont know where the distributor tab is for the tach, I tried to look today and i am completely clueless as to where it is. I couldnt find anything that said BAT or TAC on it I actually couldnt see anything besides the plug cables. I then saw a plastic yellow cable that i thought looked loose, i pulled it up and well, it was. Not connected to anything. I then Noticed a red and tannish brown cables coming out of the cab from the passenger side along the fender, also not connected to anything. Any help guys? Im concerned as to what these non connected hoses/cables are and I would really like to install an aftermarket tach but i dont know where the tach cable will go to the distributor. here are all the pictures i took.

this is the random yellow cable i found with the burnt tip

this is the tach filter, which is weird since even after i cut the cable the tach was still acting funny although it was disconnected!

here i temporarily used this cable to bypass the filter, i cut the wire going in from the filter to the cab and i cut after the filter and i connected them. felt a current through it and the tach still not working right, not reading period just spazes upon start up.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:35 PM

Thanks but problem resolved at montecarloss.com

Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Emnasty600
Thanks but problem resolved at montecarloss.com

glad you got it fixed, not everyone has answers for everything? What was the fix for anyone else who may need it? If you don't mind letting this forum know.....

Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 PM

haha no man i wasnt implying anything. I tried to copy the link over and i dont know why it came out as montecarloss.com The yellow vacuum line is for the cruise control and is not the original line, someone swapped it out at somepoint and it was wrong color. It's supposed to be black and they had replaced it with a yellow one. The other two cables are in a loop and had just come apart. They are all part of the cruise control system which didnt work before. But after re attaching them together, it regained pressure and it works now. Kind of cool at how a small vacuum line can either make or break a whole system. The pump was loose before like id set the cruise control, and teh car would slow down 15-20 mph and then the cruise would kick in and slowly let go of the throttle. As for the tachometer problem, the filter is bad, and the stock tachometer is bad. It reads now but is off tune so its a wrong reading. I'm going to "fix it" by buying an aftermarket tach and installing it either on the dash or column. What would you guys recomend for a location?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

put it on the column, it would only be an xlarge hose clamp to install, on the dash might be more of a pita, and thanks for the update.....

Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 PM

I'm "blessed" with a column shifter and theres no way to install it using a clamp, unless i use a reaaaaaally long one and wrap it around the column and the square part of the ignition. That'll look like crap so i'm assuiming i'll just install it onto the pillar.