Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

tach replacment, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default tach replacment, please help.

Okay, well there is something wrong with my tachometer, its very strange cause it only reads at 0, 1000, 3000, 5000. Like if I floor it and let it run through first(or any 2nd,3rd,4th) it jumps between those, now my question is how do i hook up a new one? i know how to do the electrical like for the lighting. All I need to know is where to hook it up at? Is there a sensor or something> and where is it how exactly do i hook up the wire or whatever goes to the sensor??
This is what im gonna get i guess cause its cheap and im just gonna get a little pod to mount on the dash.
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/white...ter-gauge.aspx
It says somthing about hooking it up to the negetive side of the coil?? I have absolutly no idea what-so-ever how to hook this up.
http://www.glowshift.com/pdf/7-color...eter-gauge.pdf
Here are the installation instructions if its any help, but please explain where the green wire goes.
Thanks much all.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 PM

some after market tachs use an inductive pick up that you just need to mount close to or sometimes around a spark plug lead. some have a wire that you need to wrap around a lead and some are electronically wired to a coil. for ease of installation just buy one with an inductive pick up for the tach signal. the other possibility is that there is corrosion in you pcm harness or your cluster harness or even loose connection at either. there is a term called a "wiggle test" i know its really technical jargin..... but try wiggling the connections for either pcm or ipc and see if the tach works properly after that or if it changes at all. i've seen this happen a lot on gm cars.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member

Well it says there is a green wire that has to be connected to the negetive side of the coil, and I really dont think it could be the pcm being i put in a new one about a month ago. And as for conecting it to the negetive side of the coil, I have no idea how to do this or even what that means. Would that be the coil meaning where the plug wire boot plugs into?? Not the plug itself but the coil, i think im getting an idea of it as i type here. That would be the coil right?? How exactly do you do this?? If that is the "coil" i have to use how do you do that exactly?? Please and thanks.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 PM

I'd also see what is wrong with the factory one first. I'd imagine its the gauge output, wiring, or the gauge itself (since the car runs fine)- maybe try picking up a junkyard gauge cluster.

As for the "coil" this isn't like the old carb'd V8's that have a single coil feeding a distributor, we have 3 coil packs (the things the plug wires go onto) that sit on the ICM. You definitely don't want to plug into anything on the coils themsevles- there are only 4 terminals on each coil- and 2 of them produce VERY high voltage.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member

well i read up on the installation a little more and it says i need to hook it up to teh tach signal wire, do you know where this is??

Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 PM

I'd imagine you could pick it up at the ICM harness- but maybe you could also get it at the gauge cluster?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 PM

those cars dont have a distributor? if it does is there a tach spot on it. i know the older v8 gm hei has it dont know if your car does.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
those cars dont have a distributor? if it does is there a tach spot on it. i know the older v8 gm hei has it dont know if your car does.
lol, no- they run a DIS - distributorless ignition system, coil packs fired from an ignition control module. Your SS is a little different even in that it has COP- coil on plug, where you have 1 coil mounted just above each spark plug with a short wire.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 04-01-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member

where is the icm harness and by any chance would you know what wire it is??

Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM

why are you sooooooooooo concerned. i never saw the point of a tach on automatic cars anyways. jk

do you start ing 1st, let off the gas at 5100 rpms, slap it to 2nd, and so on. jk

GL on the repair that sucks man, its probly a loose or dirty connection. gm is notorious for bad grounding.

Quick Reply: tach replacment, please help.