Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

How to recharge air compressor??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Default How to recharge air compressor??

I have a 1997 Monte Carlo with 84,400 miles on it. It drives fine, but over about two weeks the air cooling seemed to die after 8 years without needing a recharge. So I'm assuming the coolant has finally run out. How do I recharge the air compressor with new R134A? The compressor still kicks in when I turn it on, but I'm not actually trying to run it for fear of causing real damage.

Ive asked around and people just tell me, "Buy a recharge kit and follow the instructions." But I can't find where you inject the new R134A!!! I've looked all around and I'm not even sure if I'm looking in the right place. I know it's supposed to be on the top of the engine, but where! I used to work on my own 88 Saab 900T, but this Monte's parts are a lot harder to get to.

Can someone help me with this before I burn right up every day in this heat? Thanks.

Old 07-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Default RE: How to recharge air compressor??

ORIGINAL: SophicSage

I have a 1997 Monte Carlo with 84,400 miles on it. It drives fine, but over about two weeks the air cooling seemed to die after 8 years without needing a recharge. So I'm assuming the coolant has finally run out. How do I recharge the air compressor with new R134A? The compressor still kicks in when I turn it on, but I'm not actually trying to run it for fear of causing real damage.

Ive asked around and people just tell me, "Buy a recharge kit and follow the instructions." But I can't find where you inject the new R134A!!! I've looked all around and I'm not even sure if I'm looking in the right place. I know it's supposed to be on the top of the engine, but where! I used to work on my own 88 Saab 900T, but this Monte's parts are a lot harder to get to.

Can someone help me with this before I burn right up every day in this heat? Thanks.
I think it's the air conditioner you want to recharge

One is under the air box and the other is by the brake booster

Old 07-24-2005, 02:52 PM

OK I got the A/C recharged. It turns out that the guage that was attached to the refill kit I bought was defective. When I first tried to charge it, the reading went through the roof and I panicked, ripping the thing out of there like crazy. I went to Pep Boys and they told me the guage was either defective, or I had a serious restriction in the system. I took my chances and went home and went by the "feel how cold the air is" technique. Hehe. It worked and now the air conditioner is 'almost ice cold'. It probably needs one more 12 oz. refrigerant can (I put in a whole 19 oz canister), but I'm happy. I'm sure the dealer would have told me that I had some major leak in the system needing $300 in repairs.....so thank God I took that chance.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: SophicSage

OK I got the A/C recharged. It turns out that the guage that was attached to the refill kit I bought was defective. When I first tried to charge it, the reading went through the roof and I panicked, ripping the thing out of there like crazy. I went to Pep Boys and they told me the guage was either defective, or I had a serious restriction in the system. I took my chances and went home and went by the "feel how cold the air is" technique. Hehe. It worked and now the air conditioner is 'almost ice cold'. It probably needs one more 12 oz. refrigerant can (I put in a whole 19 oz canister), but I'm happy. I'm sure the dealer would have told me that I had some major leak in the system needing $300 in repairs.....so thank God I took that chance.
glad I could help