Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

condensation in headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Default condensation in headlamp

I've just had my 2002 LE for a week now, and I asked about the condensation inside the headlamp when I looked at and bought the car. Dealer said "that's normal" and "it will go away". But after reading about the problem, I found that it could lead to other problems: burned-out bulbs, a short in a wire - for two! I'd like to stop this before it gets worse - plus I don't like the looks of it - and people keep pointing it out to me - like it's a life or death matter. I've read where you can take the lamp out, drill holes underneath, in to the housing and air out the moisture, then re-seal it with clear silicone and re-install. OR, wait until the condensation is gone, and seal it from the outside! Kinda doubt the dealer with do it for me - it was an "as is". Do these sound like rational "fixes" to those of you who know about this? Otherwise, this is a great, and great-looking car. Any ideas, guys? And, thanks in advance.
Barb

Old 07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Default RE: condensation in headlamp

That is def not normal. This might be a good time to invest in some of those JDM black headlights...

You can drill holes in the unit to vent it off but I'd be willing to bet it would only cause more grief for you in the long run.

Welcome to the forum BTW...

Old 07-29-2005, 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

That is def not normal. This might be a good time to invest in some of those JDM black headlights...

You can drill holes in the unit to vent it off but I'd be willing to bet it would only cause more grief for you in the long run.

Hey now, don't be a ricer. JDM=Japanese Domestic Market, there are no JDM items for the Monte, JDM indicates that the item is an authentic item that was built in Japan, or the market which uses the JDM guidelines.

If it were me, I'd open up the headlights, dry em out, close them up again and run a bead of silicone around the edge to ensure a water tight seal.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

Hey now, don't be a ricer. JDM=Japanese Domestic Market, there are no JDM items for the Monte, JDM indicates that the item is an authentic item that was built in Japan, or the market which uses the JDM guidelines.

If it were me, I'd open up the headlights, dry em out, close them up again and run a bead of silicone around the edge to ensure a water tight seal.

Really.... I did not know that. I thought JDM was a company.. lol I thought I saw a seller on Ebay that claimed they are JDM's. I'll have to look a little closer @ the bid description.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:38 AM

Thanks to both you "Monte's". I appreciate the "welcome" and the answers. 04LS - my car looks just like yours - different wheels though. Someone must have switched somewhere along the line. Car came from Florida - hope I can keep it looking this good in Iowa. Anyway, I'm going to try to dry them out and re-seal with silicone. Couldn't hurt. I had the car out and about in the sun yesterday for 5 hours and it never did "go away" like the dealer said. Maybe I can talk them in to fixing it for me. Yeah! Right!!! I must still be asleep. lol. Thanks again. Barb

Old 07-30-2005, 12:11 PM

Really.... I did not know that. I thought JDM was a company.. lol I thought I saw a seller on Ebay that claimed they are JDM's. I'll have to look a little closer @ the bid description.
You might be right, the JDM thing caught on and everything became "jdm", anything to make a buck ya know? But yeah, JDM is as I explained it above.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Barbann

Thanks to both you "Monte's". I appreciate the "welcome" and the answers. 04LS - my car looks just like yours - different wheels though. Someone must have switched somewhere along the line. Car came from Florida - hope I can keep it looking this good in Iowa. Anyway, I'm going to try to dry them out and re-seal with silicone. Couldn't hurt. I had the car out and about in the sun yesterday for 5 hours and it never did "go away" like the dealer said. Maybe I can talk them in to fixing it for me. Yeah! Right!!! I must still be asleep. lol. Thanks again. Barb
ahahaha, those wheels in my sig are photoshopped, thanks to Boost. I have the Impala SS wheels on mine. I haven't actually taken my headlights out, but from what I hear, it's a piece of cake. And to open them up, you need a heat gun and a flat blade screwdriver and alot of patience. Good luck!!