Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Heated seat fix.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 AM

I'm having some trouble getting the cover off... looks like the plastic piece with the handle is the last part that needs to come off.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

This seems to have had great success. The wife's Impala drivers is not working. I will give this a try when back from shop. This is what the forum is all about.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
if anyone is interested DORMAN products makes an aftermarket heated seat kit. it includes 2 heating elements and all the hardware required to install them. i just put them in my car about a month ago and they are awesome. better than my wife's pontiac factory heated seats.

and removing the seats for installation was easy, as mentioned before 2 locking tabs hold the plastic covers over the fasteners and then its a T45 or T47 torx bolt tilt forward and disconnect wire harnesses (for power seats) and then the front is just hooked into the floor. there are no hog rings or anything complex about removing the seat covers just plastic hooks and clips and velcro.

i paid $250 and now i have a hot a$$! lol
Did you tap into the factory monte carlo wiring?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM

stinger-427 THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 AM

THANK YOU to all who contributed to this thread. Just as was mentioned, the black wire at the bottom of the driver seat behind the corner had burned through. It was still connected but the wire had burned so badly that the metal had lost its' conductivity. Some solder and heat shrink and we now have a happy heated butt. Thank You "stinger-427"
See image below.
fixdriverseatheater.jpg

Last edited by gmjunkyard; 11-10-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-11-2013, 04:42 AM

Jumped in the Monte the other day and thought I would try out the heated seats. I never use them since it's my wife's car. No heat on either seat. Got home and asked if she had ever used them and her reply was no, I never use them.

Checked the fuses and voltage to the pigtail and all was good. I figured the elements were burnt and wrote it off. I did some searches on the laptop and found this post.

The drivers seat back was bad and fixed the burnt wires on that side. The passenger side seat bottom was bad and fixed the burnt wires and everything works great. The drivers side wasn't too bad but the passenger side was not so easy.

Thanks a bunch for the write up on this. I would have never thought to check for burnt wires in the seat itself and assumed the elements were bad with no way to repair.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Cool, glad my pics helped. It is seriously awesome to know that with a little digging and reading you can glean the knowledge and experience from someone else who has been through it so that you don't have to.
I also fixed my rear defroster and now it is working perfectly!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Default give credit where it is due

The heated seat fix worked all winter. Awesome.
MM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fix driver seat heater.jpg (96.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by gmjunkyard; 05-02-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well it has been 4 1/2 years since I fixed my seat and wrote the post. My heated seat is still working great. I don't drive the car much anymore, I have put nearly 130,000 miles (185,000 total) on it since I fixed the seat and have not had to re-fix it. I drive the car to and from work occationally, but I keep it around "just in case" and so my daughter has something to drive when she is home from collage. I'm glad so many people have benefited from this post. Thanks too for all the feedback.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Well, it was cool yesterday morning so I hit the heated seat in my Monte. Nothing. I'd bumped it on by accident several times during the summer and wondered why my butt was getting hot. When I needed it though...it let me down.

So... I read this thread and thought I was onto something. Both wires looked good and I used my meter to check to make sure I had a connection from the terminal under the seat to the wire where it went into the actual heater grid. I did. I gave up and plugged it all back in and buttoned the seat back up. I'd left the switch on High so later when I drove the car, the seat heated up. I thought "great!" I fixed it by accident. I turned off the heater since it was warm out and not needed. Turned it on this evening when it cooled off a little and...you guessed it. Nothing. Anyone have an idea why it would have worked but then not worked again?

Quick Reply: Heated seat fix.