Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Heated seat fix.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Try swapping the control relay with the one from the passenger seat. Look under the seat and you will see it. It has a clip holding it in place so it doesn't get tangled up in the tracks. If that does not work try swapping the switches. I'd bet since your problem is intermittent that the fault is one of those two.
MM

Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Default Switch!

I am guessing it may be your heater switch that has an intermittent contact problem. I would spray the sides of the switch with electrical contact cleaner. If you don't have any then I would try WD40 and give it a few minutes to soak into the contacts of the switch. It wouldn't hurt to try this. The same problem often happens on radio *****/switches.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 PM

Thanks guys! I'll try the switch first since it sounds like the easiest thing to try. Swapping them out should be easy enough too. If none of that works, I'll try the relay. Where's it located under the seat? Is it closer to the driver's door or closer to the center console?

Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 AM

I tried to do this but I couldn't even get past the part where you unclip the seats..couldn't seem to find the clip that I supposed to unhook, can someone take a picture that shows what it is I'm supposed to be looking for?? TYIA

Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Default the "clip"

Actually it is kind of like a ziplock strip. Fold the top of the seat as far forward as possible. You may want to slide the seat back away from the steering wheel then get in the back seat. There is a smooth seam at the very bottom center of the seat. See the attached picture and illustration to show you. You just start at one end and pull it apart.
Mike MDSC_0001.jpg

Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 AM

This was the solution to the heated drivers seat problem I was having with my wife’s 04 SS. At first all looked good when I rolled the leather up exposing the cushion. I did have to dig into the cushion a little before the break became apparent. Repaired wire with solder and heatshrink. Works like a champ. Very pleased with the results and even more pleased that Monte Carlo Forum has once again showed me the way and saved me some $$$$. Next project – replace stepper motors in gauge cluster.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:18 PM

Mine quit working again but in the past, I took some IR photos of my heated seat back when it was working and it shows, on an infrared scale, a hotspot on the seat side of things telling me there is likely a wear in the element. I am going to rip it apart tonight and see if it finally bit through.

Attached is the pic.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:23 AM

Lol you guys are funny, and SPOILED!

I was looking for a fix for my mother's 04 MC and came across this thread (thanks for the help!) and I'm reading about some of ya guys complaining of going through winter without heated seats (like my mom does!).

Try driving a 1999 Jeep Wrangler SE that only has a heater with a soft top, soft doors, and no carpet. No electronics, heated seat, radio, powered-option, AC, blah blah to deal with and I'm abt to hit 100k. I thank myself for buying this vehicle every time I'm at my mother's fixing her trouble-some car that doesn't have 70k miles yet. Her gauges just started dying off one by one and I'm just rolling my eyes in frustration. Come on, GM, you are better than this!

But really, thanks to the OP for saving my mom a ton of money.

Last edited by muddeprived; 01-16-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 AM

They make those crappy seat covers with the heat in it, if you wish; otherwise, we all have to deal with what we chose to drive. In your case, likely a poor choice for winter but summer must rock! My jeep Comanche convertible sits dormant for the fall/winter/spring months for that very reason.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shandley
They make those crappy seat covers with the heat in it, if you wish; otherwise, we all have to deal with what we chose to drive. In your case, likely a poor choice for winter but summer must rock! My jeep Comanche convertible sits dormant for the fall/winter/spring months for that very reason.
Poor choice for winter? IMO, I think the other way. I chose the standard edition wrangler because it has wheels, a solid drivetrain, and cover to get me to work, and that's all I really need. I don't have to deal with all these electronic gremlins that haunt modern vehicles. I don't mind the cold for the 17 minutes it takes to warm up the vehicle while driving and turn on the heater setting to 2. It gets toasty from then on. Just a little patience and all is good.

An extra layer of clothing and thicker coat with gloves is WAY better than spending hours fixing electronic malfunctions.

Jeep Comanche? I'm jealous! I been looking for one in good condition for years! All i find is rust buckets going for more than their worth. Sucks living in the rust belt.

Last edited by muddeprived; 01-16-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Heated seat fix.