Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Headlight problems

Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Default Headlight problems

Looking for help with a headlight problem on my son's 2000 Monte Carlo. Here are the specifics of the problem. High beams and parking lights work fine. The daytime running lights and low beams do not work at all. I have checked the dimmer switch, all relays, all fuses and the body control module (replaced). I have scanned for codes and nothing appears. Oh, I replaced the lamps also. Nothing left but trace all wiring, so I thought I would call on this great forum for answers.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Old 02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Default RE: Headlight problems

[align=center]Hi `Jim, & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Check body grounds near the lights. Also check body ground near the dimmer switch in the car.[/align][align=center]Maybe the problem might bea baddimmer switch.[/align][align=center]Maybe also a bad headlight control module.[/align][align=center]Test wires for power : ( ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If the above suggestions do not help, please be patience[/align][align=center]and when one of our expert member's reads your[/align][align=center]post, they will post their suggestions/solutions.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck to you and your son.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 PM

I have not checked the grounds yet. You mentioned the headlight module, That is not shown in the Haynes manual (maybe another name?) I have checked the dimmer switch and I do have voltage in and out of the switch for both high and low beams. As for the patience, the older I get the better that gets. I quit throwing tools years ago. Thanks for your thoughts, whatever I find I will post the solution on the forum.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 AM

Did you ever find the solution to your son's problem...I have the exact same problem with my 2000 Monte was hoping to learn from your experience.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM

Daytime Running Light (DRL) Control Module is what it should be referred to in Haynes. Try that and good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 PM

i would be suspect of the multifunction/dimmer switch

when it goes bad you might have your high beams or low beams or both stop working, i would think that if the high beams worked, the daytime running lights wouldnt have a problem.

https://montecarloforum.com/m_71626/tm.htm on page 2 theres a lil write up on testing the dimmer part of the multifunction switch

well crap, missed the post where u said u checked that... nevermind