Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 LS trac system problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Default 01 LS trac system problem

I just picked up my 01 LS, it has 28,000 miles on it. The traction off button does nothing. I read in the book it is supposed to make a chime and then light up the trac off on the dash. I did test the traction system today in the snow, and it is operable. Just can't turn it off. Bad switch? Anyone been here before.

Also, under hard acceleration from 1st to 2nd on dry pavement, i feel the car shutter when shifting to 2nd. I highly doubt the tires are breaking loose, don't know if it's the traction control kicking in. I'm hoping i'm not witnessing a transaxle problem already. Any ideas?

Old 03-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Default RE: 01 LS trac system problem

I've figured out so far that the trac off switch pins A and D are a normally open set of contacts. Looks like B and C are the back light. Does someone have the wiring schematic on this car that can tell me where pins A and D go? I can either ring out the wires or short the pins on the other end to see if i have a harness problem.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:02 PM

Pin A goes to ground & Pin D goes to the BCM connector C2(24 cavity gray connector) terminal A9(brown/white wire). The traction control switch is a normally open switch that momentarily toggles the traction control switch signal circuit to ground which disables the traction control until the ignition key is cycled off.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM

Where is the body control module? I can at least ring the wire out and make sure it goes where it's supposed to. I also have another thread on how i can't get my radio to go into configuration mode. Another member on here suggested that i may need to get the BCM reflashed, which i do have an appointement to get done. Just seems strange that this stuff doesn't work with only 28000 miles. And the car has been sitting and driven very little for the past 5 years. Do you think the BCM reflash may take care of the radio problem as well as the trac off problem? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 PM

Well and you have a second model year of a new generation vehicle too...Things will go wrong with them. Just be patient, especially if it hasn't been driven very often. You should be able to work the kinks out soon. Good Luck.