Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Has anyone really ever fixed a P0440 evap code

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM

Then could you please elaborate why it would be so random and not have any noticeable variances in fuel efficiency?

Sometimes I'll fill my tank up several times without hearing any complaints from it.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 PM

Ehhh my leak was inside the brake booster, one of the shrouds were bent causing air pressure to drop triggering the evap leak code p0440, explains y it didn't show up on 3 smoke tests,

Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM

I would have thought that might throw a code for brakes and not only evap? That's a scary issue, hope that's not the case with me.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by tridski
I have a 2002 SS. I have replaced the gas cap. Replace the purge solenoid, with no luck. I have checked for hose cracks, with no luck either. I guess I will try the vent valve next. Whats next. Thanks for any help. Dave

I have the same problem on my 01 SS...was wondering if you ever figured the problem out...any kind of help would be more than appreciated...

Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 AM

i fixed mine! 06 lt, changed the vent valve solenoid, by the drivers rear tire, light has been off since. car still has issue, but atleast no cel!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by solaris_vii
i fixed mine! 06 lt, changed the vent valve solenoid, by the drivers rear tire, light has been off since. car still has issue, but atleast no cel!

Was wondering is it by the charcoal canister...and how did you get to it ...

Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had that same code a cpl years ago//turns out it a small leak on the non pressure side return line...at the connector to the top of the tank...(rusted out)

I had to replace the lines as well as drop the tank and replace the pump etc...
problem resolved...

Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by solaris_vii
I got the P0455 and the other one for the minor leak.
Switched the gas caps to a GM new one, but the code kept coming on.
Usually 1st it was tighten gas cap, then after tightening it the code would come up.

i just returned from the mechanic today that i trust and he said he tested it and i need a new vent valve solenoid.
So its going back to the shop tomorrow for him to change.
generally i would attempt to change it myself, but i just dont have the time right now.
ill post back when i have news.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 PM

My 01 makes a grinding noise on my right passenger side when I turn right...I replaced the hub bearing and still makes the noise...I don't have rims on it yet...just trying to figure out what's the problem before I do put some on...any kind of help would be appreciated...thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by WannaMCSS
I got the P0455 and the other one for the minor leak.
Switched the gas caps to a GM new one, but the code kept coming on.
Usually 1st it was tighten gas cap, then after tightening it the code would come up.

i just returned from the mechanic today that i trust and he said he tested it and i need a new vent valve solenoid.
So its going back to the shop tomorrow for him to change.
generally i would attempt to change it myself, but i just dont have the time right now.
ill post back when i have news.
you should give it a shot yourself first. all i had to do was crawl under the car, dont have to jack it up or take off a wheel or anything, look by the rear driver wheel and its right there held up by one 10mm bolt =)

Quick Reply: Has anyone really ever fixed a P0440 evap code