Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

GTP brake booster for CarTuning turbo'ed 03 SS

Old 09-03-2011, 04:54 PM
1 Year Member
Default GTP brake booster for CarTuning turbo'ed 03 SS

Somebody either told me or I read somewhere that using a brake booster from a GTP in my SS would help prevent false knock readings and possibly work better in a boosted situation.

My brakes currently work fine, however, the transmission fill tube, even after massaging it a bit, looks as though it could be a culprit in some of the knock readings I have been getting.

I don't have one handy to do a direct comparison unfortunately.

I know somebody said something about it but I can't remember who or where.

I guess senility is setting in sooner than I would like.

Anyway I just thought it was worth asking.

Y'all take care

Old 09-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have no idea where you heard that or how a vacuum mechanism will help with false knock. But I seriously doubt if they're even an different.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:40 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PacerSS
I have no idea where you heard that or how a vacuum mechanism will help with false knock. But I seriously doubt if they're even an different.
The false knock was created by the transmission tube rattling against the break booster and such. I have had this happen in the past. If you are running a Car Tuning turbo kit you have likely experienced this an ended up bending the tube some to get clearance.

The other thought process is that possibly there is a better control over the the action of the break booster when the car is under boost. Now I'm highly skeptical about that since the booster is vacuum powered but it is an entertaining thought.

In an F body that I had before I ended up using a booster out of a truck that was powered by the power steering pump. Worked really well. That has bee quite a while back.

I guess I didn't state the situation clearly.

sorry.

Last edited by rlj4214; 09-03-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No worries. As far as the dipstick tube rubbing. ZZP sells a prebent dipstick tube. The other option is a LOKAR dipstick tube. Or flexible one mounted to the firewall.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 PM
1 Year Member

No worries. As far as the dipstick tube rubbing. ZZP sells a prebent dipstick tube. The other option is a LOKAR dipstick tube. Or flexible one mounted to the firewall.
Cool...

Thanks

Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 PM
1 Year Member

Just got this from Erik at MORAD.

"Actually you have it backwards. The Monte/Impala booster is the ones the guys use in the GTP's for more clearance as it is a touch smaller."

oops. well i was close.

take care