Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Factory Stereo Display Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Default Factory Stereo Display Issues

I'm new to post here but have sought all your advice for a while now. I'm stumped on this one though. I have a 2004 Intimidator, I bought it used last year. I love the car but have an issue with the stock stereo- The display will occasionally just go blank and the buttons are useless. The ***** still work, though, as well as the steering wheel buttons. It's not a huge deal- the sound works-, just frustrating. I can't afford a fancy replacement stereo. Do you think a used replacement stock stereo be an option?

Also, it never keeps the correct time- it loses hours, not just minutes. I was told by an "expert" this may be because I never activated the OnStar, and I have to deal with it. Does that sound right??

Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM

I dont think the onstar has anything to do with your radio...onstar works off the rear view mirror...by the way.....your onstar will no longer function on your 2004 Monte...They went to a new digital system in 2008 i believe so the onstar box and the rearview mirror controls are now useless unless you have the dealer install the new digital onstar with a contract. As far as your factory radio is concerned...you can either take it out and go to a car stereo repair center and have your radio repaired and reconditioned with new ***** and face plate..or go on the web and find the repair centers which can sell you a remanufactured UNLOCKED unit where you can just plug it in without it having to be reprogrammed for your vehicle...Hope this helps

Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 AM

I doubt that Onstar is causing the problem even though Onstar is tied in to your radio to a point. It will mute the radio sounds if you have a phone call come through and may do some other things. I have a 2004 Dale Jr edition and my Onstar is not activated and my radio works fine.

I personally would either have your radio fixed or get another factory radio because unfortunately, GM tied your radio into some of the other features the car has like resetting the low tire indication and reset the oil change reminder. I think there are other things it does also and I think that you may be able to reset some of the features without using the radio but I'm not sure.

Look on Ebay. I've seen several factory radio's for our cars for not very much money.

Wayne